FT-3 DR - Set up help needed

There is no serial / comm connection for the FT3DR it’s just the handmic connection at the radio

Yes, you don’t connect serial data lines to the HT. The PTT line that you do connect is controlled by the RTS signal of Digirig’s serial port so that needs to be configured as a source of PTT in the digital modes software. You are welcome to post the configuration screens if you are not sure about the options.

okay so I connect the Digirig to my PC , then 1 cable to my HT and somewhere I have a serial port to select ? Where do i find the Digirigs serial port? I mean I see the comm port in device manager and i set the PTT to RTS on that com port and nothing happens

You select the serial port in the configuration of the digital modes software in the section pertaining to PTT. Please post the screenshots of the device manager showing Digirig’s COM port and Winlink VARA FM configuration if you encounter difficulties.

Will not PTT the radio

This configuration checks out. I vaguely remember another configuration screen for PTT settings somewhere in Winlink/Vara.

Also, did you try the wiring test by shorting sleeve to the closest ring on the Digirig’s side of the cable while the other end is plugged into the radio? PTT will not work if the connector is not fully seated.

Shorting cable does not key the radio , however there is continuity when checked with a multimeter.

Sounds like the cable is not fully inserted. Is there a lip around the socket that jack’s molding is bumping against?

That was the issue , but no matter how I fidgeted with the cable it wouldn’t work , I used a aux-cable extender to make it work

If this is the older revision of the cable you might need to shave some of the molding to make it fit the socket better. The current revision has a narrower molding:

A post was split to a new topic: Android software

Has anyone else come up with a solution? I have an FT-3Dr with all the same issues mentioned previously… no joy. There is NO “com” or port for an FT-3D. So it is all based on audio. I just rec’vd this cable so I see no “shoulder” on the cable. So, looking for some remediation, thanks.

I just tested this out with my FT3D and new Digirig Mobile and cables purchased from Digirig. Unfortunately, my cables seem to be the “old style” without the shoulder, which is a little disappointing since I just bought them and plan on using them only with FT3D and FT5D HTs.

Using the instructions in this document (for Signalink, but still applies), I was able to get everything working. However, I had to physically press the cable pretty hard into the FT3D to get the PTT to work.

Also, my Windows 10 installation is pretty wonky about not persisting the soundcard settings for USB devices. This means that every time I reboot my laptop, I need to go in and check whether or not the Digirig USB sound card got set as “Default Communications Device” and “Default Device”. I’m planing on getting another laptop at some point which will be solely for field use, and will likely be running Linux as its primary OS rather than Windows.

Hopefully this information is useful.

Al,
If you have early version of Yaesu HT cable and it the contact is not reliable, I can exchange it for you or you can just trim some of the molding around the contacts with a box cutter.

Also, Digirig should not be a default audio device. Please make sure to move both green checkboxes to your computer’s regular mic and speakers otherwise all system beeps and boops will end up on the air.

Thanks, Denis. I’m not looking for replacement cables; I’ll try trimming my current ones down and see how that works.

I could have been more clear in my statement above: Windows keeps randomly deciding to make the Digirig the default device, which as you say, is not the setting I want. If I reboot the laptop, or even just unplug and replug the Digirig, Windows sometimes (not always) makes it the default device, and also does things like sets or unsets levels, mute, AGC, etc. Frustrating, but I blame Microsoft for this.

Thank you for the clarification.
I found the device settings go back to defaults if Digirig is plugged in a different USB port. My Windows preserves the settings between reboots and re-plugs as long as the port is the same.

I hope this is the right place to post.

It appears that I can not get my cable (from here) to work properly with any of my radios.

What works:
-PTT works
-In soundmodem I can see that audio is coming from radio

What does not work:
-Simply APRS messages can not be translated/interpreted. I could not do any other test (time and problem with VARA FM!).

What radios:
_FT1DR
-FT2DR
-FT3DR
-FT70

How I did test:

• a FT3DR sends APRS beacons manually.
  • two computers run SoundModem 114 listen.
  • one is connected via VX-6
  • the other computer connected first through VX-6 and VX-7 to confirm all pieces are working and APRS messages are interpreted correctly.

-NON of FT series were able to work, I can visually see that something is coming in the waterfall (soundmodem).

Scratching my head here.

There are three functions:

• get audio from the air: since you see the signal on the waterfall, this works. You can also patch the incoming audio to the computer’s speakers for monitoring while setting it up. See troubleshooting guide on more info for this.
  • PTT: you report as working
  • get audio from computer on the air: you can use another HT on the same frequency to confirm that this happens.

Now even if everything works, you may still not be able to establish the link because of the RF, audio levels or software configuration issue.

Divide and conquer the concerns:

• troubleshooting with stations in close proximity will remove RF considerations
  • trying different digital mode will rule out issue with the specific software
  • start with the lowest levels and add gradually
  • make sure you select correct (Digirig’s) audio devices from the list

Thank Denis for pointing out audio level.

I did setup the test again mainly because I used my FT3DR as the transmitter last time and did not test it as the receiver. I just prematurely made the conclusion that becasue all of the others failed this is automatic fail too :expressionless:

Anyhow, this is my findings:
-FT3DR worked, I was paying attention to the HT volume and it was at 50%
-FT70 did not until i increased volume to exactly 30 out of 31 (31 did not worked too).
-FT1DR only worked at maximum volume.

While this was absolutely a newbie mistake, it is somehow strange to me that the whole eco-system is so sensitive to the volume.

There is a lesson learned and thought share it here so hopefully helps someone else.

Yes, overdriving audio is a real thing and it may have a dramatic effect on the sound.
When done on purpose, that’s what turns acoustic guitar sound into heavy metal guitar sound.

2 Likes