TYT MD-380UV cable and support

Hello,

I have been doing some digital modes on my FT-991a and do a lot of DMR on my mobiles and HTs.

I want to start using Winlink not only on HF but also VHF / UHF using the mobiles and HTs. Thing is they are all DMR and do see them being used with the Digirig for other digital usage. From all I have been able to gather so far there seems to be no reason the would not work with a Digirig and the correct cabling and computer with the correct software and configuration.

The DMR radios I have that I am looking for cabling for to use with the Digirig are the following:
TYT MD-9600 mobile
TYT MD-UV380 & 390
RadiOddity GD-77
Boefeng DM-5R

If anyone has used the Digirig with any of these radios I would interested you experience.

@pick I do not own those radios, so I can’t answer your question, but I do not want it to go without a response.

As I mentioned in another thread, you can test digital modes with acoustic coupling and flidigi MT63 mode or something similar. If you are satisfied and the DMR repeater owners do not mind, then yes, get some custom audio cabling and use Digirigs.

73 Constrainted

I believe you may misunderstood what I am wanting to do.

I do Not want to use the Digirigi with the DMR mode of operation, rather I want to use the Digirig with the analog operation of these DMR capable radios. In the end I want to have more digital options open to me to with my radios beyond DMR mode only.

So in essence I want to have all the things that Digirig brings to the analog radios with my DMR radios as well.

Thank you for your quick reply.

So Baofeng UV-5R cables for the Radioddity GD-77. I think Denis @K0TX will comment on this, too.

73 Constrainted

@pick, you are correct. Any voice capable radio is suitable for sound card based digital modes. That includes everything from the most sophisticated SDRs to toy walkie-talkies.

The HTs you listed should work with data cable from K1 kit (Kenwood/Baofeng). For TYT MD-9600 I’ll need to the mic pinout to make a cable suggestion.

I found information on the MD-9600 mic but unfortunately there were two conflicting pieces of information. I finally confirmed the correct one and have a schematic for the mic and the pinouts for the RJ-45 connector used.

Pin 1 - SW2
Pin 2 - SW1
Pin 3 - VCC (3.3v from radio)
Pin 4 - Ground
Pin 5 - Mic
Pin 6 - PTT
Pin 7 - NC
Pin 8 - NC

MD-9600 mic schematic.pdf (409.5 K)

Pick

1 Like

I would definately be interested in the MD-9600 and even the UV-390 (K1 Kit). I run both these radios, and have a Raspberry Pi set up at the house for the MD-9600. If I could get that working I’d consider doing a second Pi for the 390 and a Digirig for field operations.

Based on this pinout the audio cable for Digirig would look like this:

RJ-45 pin 4 (Ground) → 3.5mm TRRS sleeve (GND)
RJ-45 pin 5 (Mic) → 3.5mm TRRS ring 1 (RIG_AFIN)
RJ-45 pin 6 (PTT) → 3.5mm TRRS ring 2 (RIG_PTT)

Assuming there is no RX audio on the mic connector we’ll need a separate jack for headphones jack:

3.5mm TRS tip (SPK) → 3.5mm TRRS tip (RIG_AFOUT)

Depending on the source the pins on RJ-45 are numbered in different directions. It would be helpful to have some confirmation. You can ring pins to the chassis and whichever have continuity are going to be pin 4.

The above layout is almost FT-2500 reversed pinout. If the mic connector has the RX audio next to PTT (pin 7 or pin 2 depending on direction), then it is a match. 5V and connections for buttons do line up.

1 Like

Checking back with the author of that diagram I can confirm the following.

Looking into the MD-9600 RJ45 receptacle on the front of the radio for the mic the pinouts follow this diagram

As such the mic cable uses pins / positions 1 to 6. Pins / positions 7 and 8 are not used. I hope this makes it clear enough.

About audio out, the standard mic does not have a speaker and there is No speaker mic offered for this radio, implying there is no audio out from the radio returned via the mic connection / wiring. There is an audio out jack on the back of the radio and I connect to my vehicle speakers from my mobile use of the MD-9600. From the user manual is the following:
“For the external speaker connection, the audio connection accepts a standard 3.5mm mini stereo audio plug.”

I hope this helps.

Based on this the cable connections I suggested earlier should work (including the speaker tail). I’d still ring pin 4 to chassis for good measure.