VaraFM with Baofeng

Hi Denis,

I made a DigiRig cable for Baofeng (I forgot to order one, sorry) and I 'd like to share my experiences here.

I followed the above video to the letter and unfortunately, I could not make a VARA FM Winlink connection with the Baofeng UV-5R HT, like some of the posters here. I can hear the Gateway replying, but the BFGeng-DigiRig just would not acknowledge it.

Interestingly, when I tried Packet Winlink with the same HT-DigiRig and cable, it worked! I was able to send and receive messages with it.

I then shifted to using VARA terminal, and again the BFeng/DigiRig combo worked! I am now stumped.

Doesn’t VARA terminal use the same protocols as those used by VARA FM Winlink?

Anyways, I am happy that I am able to use my BFeng HT with my DigiRig, even without VARA FM Winlink. I hope the issue can be resolved soon.

Boyet 4F3BZ

1 Like

One possibility is that you didn’t pick the correct sound card in the software that didn’t work. There also may be software specific level settings.

I picked the correct sound card (named it DigiRig like you hihi). Will check on the Winlink audio settings if there are any.

Cheers

You have so many things working! You are probably very close to success with Vara FM Winlink.

If you have not already, consider:

1. RF chokes on your cables
  2. checking again for AGC unset on the microphone input (I check this with mmsys.cpl)
  3. separate the antenna from the Baofeng handset, maybe using a roll-up J-pole

73 Constrainted

Update on my DigiRig-Baofeng setup:

This morning I needed to check-in with our local Emcomm group via Winlink, and I brought out the BF again. It still would not ping or calibrate with the gateway, but to my surprise it was able to send and receive messages!

I guess ishould have tried sending/receiving messages earlier, but I was disheartened immediately by its failure to ping or calibrate.

I will next try to take it out of the field and see how well I can work with the setup using a mobile antenna.

Boyet 4F3BZ

1 Like

Congratulations on your success. I have had this experience, too, but I do not have a good explanation. Despite providing many diagnostics, Jose EA5HVK keeps so much hidden from us in Vara.

73 Constrainted