9600 baud cable with Icom IC-706

9600 baud MiniDin6 cable can be used with IC-706 transceiver according to the pinout information from the user manual:

This should enable faster transfers using Vara and other modes capable of wider bandwidth.

What are the pro’s and con’s of using this cable vs. the one that uses the 13 pin accessory port? Similar question for IC-746 using this cable and the 8 pin accessory connector? Also wondering if this cable can be used with the Icom 880H?

The manual shows examples of both of the connectors with TNC adapters so it doesn’t sound like there is a principle difference between the two. The 6pin MiniDin has options for 1200 and 9600 audio. Later should be able to offer faster data transfer speeds with Vara.

I blew the dust off of my original IC-706…got it when they first came out. I wanted to mention that it does not have a 6 pin Mini-din connector. It has the 13 DIN connector commonly found on other Icom models…but that is it. It is possible that the later model IC-706 radios came with both interface connectors on the rear panel.

Stu – N7QJP

Yes, MiniDin6 is found on MKII variant

The standard Digirig cables kit for IC-706 includes 13 pin connector: