Cable for AnyTone AT-5555N

Any chance this cable may work with the AnyTone AT-5555N II 10m radio? I’d like to get a new Technician up to speed with JS8Call and WinLink.

I couldn’t quickly find the pinout for the mic cable on AT-5555N, but from what I found it doesn’t look like it’s compatible with Anytone AT-D578UV. Here’s a picture of a jack mic adapter for AT-5555N found here.

We can see pins at the edges (1 & 8) are not connected, while Anytone AT-D578UV would be using them for GND and PTT.

Thanks Denis! Les wy0gtr at HamMadeParts pointed me to these two cables that together should make the connection:

Anytone AT-5555n RJ-45 Mic Plug and 1/8" Speaker Plug to 5 Pin Din or DB9 TNC Plug

TNC Cable Adapter - 5 Pin Din Female to Mobilinkd or DigiRig 3.5 mm TRRS plug

2 Likes

KK4WXA, did you find a way to get the AT-555N II working with digital modes like JSCall and WSJT? What cable worked and did you use Digirig with it?

Based on the below pinout it appears that AT-778UV cable should also work for AT-5555

Please report your test results here.

1 Like

I bought the AT-778UV cable to try with my Digirig-Lite and my 5555 N II and it won’t transmit. Causes the radio to cycle through memory channels instead. Seeing as how the PTT pin seems to be shared with the microphone up/down buttons, I think perhaps a resistor is needed to tell between the 3 options for that pin.

PTT is pin 2 while Mic is pin 3 so those are not shared.
Are you able to key up the radio with the PTT simulated as shown in the video?

RTS works on a Lite?? Also I said ‘microphone up and down buttons’ not the actual audio line from the mic.

If the function of pin 2 is PTT, UP, and DOWN…then there needs to be specific value resistors to signal what function is wanted. Assuming it’s a standard resistor network like steering wheel controls use to share one line for multiple functions.

Digirig Lite doesn’t have COM port so there’s nothing to control RTS.
PTT is controlled by GPIO3 of the codec or VOX/tone on the right channel.
There are no volume control lines routed to the connector, please use the level settings in the Control Panel.

1 Like

Ok, all this is known…but my problem isn’t with level, it’s with the radio changing channels when TX is activated.

I do not think this cable is properly compatible with the AT-5555N II.

I mentioned level adjustment in context of you bringing up “UP” and “DOWN” functions.
Let’s get back to the PTT question:

the 5555 has a simplexed ptt pin.

one pin on the microphone input can do THREE functions.

PTT
channel up
channel down

all depending on a switch to 0 ohm ground or ‘some value of resistance’ ground.

my thoughts are the digirig and cable combo, is NOT switching to 0 ohm ground.
rather switching to ground with ‘SOME’ resistance.

this tells the radio to either ‘channel up’ or ‘channel down’.

this was common with early homebrew fob mods and some radios that were picky on their 0 ohm to ground PTT switching.

that’s the best i can do to help with this, sorry.

kb0wlf

1 Like

Yes, there is current limiting on the PTT line of Digirig Lite. You can bypass it if your situation requires that:

the 5555 has a simplexed ptt pin.

one pin on the microphone input can do THREE functions.

PTT
channel up
channel down

all depending on a switch to 0 ohm ground or ‘some value of resistance’ ground.

my thoughts are the digirig and cable combo, is NOT switching to 0 ohm ground.
rather switching to ground with ‘SOME’ resistance.

this tells the radio to either ‘channel up’ or ‘channel down’.

this was common with early homebrew fob mods and some radios that were >picky on their 0 ohm to ground PTT switching.

This is what i’ve been trying to say. I’m referencing the rj45 pinout in this thread that says the three functions are on a shared pin.

So I was ready again to ask why I need to watch a video about setting up RTS when I have stated that i’m working with a Lite. Then I kept watching and got to the part where the cable was shorted at the digirig end to see if the radio will TX. I assume this is what you mean? My first pass of the video I stopped partway in thinking it did not apply.

I did short the end as shown and the radio did transmit without switching channels.

I’ll try jumping that resistor and see what happens.

1 Like

I have a Anytone 5555N2 and the Digirig cable for the AT-778UV and the setup has worked great from the first time trying it. I have used the Digirig rev 1.9 and 1.10 on it. Everything works fine without modifications.

Update to my original post. I can confirm, the AT-778UT cable will work with the Antone AT-5555N2. The error was in my part in configuring my software. Whoops!

2 Likes