Cables for Anytone AT-878uv+

Hello,

New to the forum and DigiRig.

Will the Baofeng cables work for an Anytone AT-878uv+? If yes then there will be more questions later.
Thx.

Welcome to the community forums.
Yes, Baofeng cables will work for your Anytone HT.

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

73’s

Hi @K0TX - can you give some more details on how this works? I have the Baofeng cables. Using the green cable to serial, the AnyTone CPS does not detect the radio. Is there a different approach required to make this work?

It’s worth pointing out that a regular Baofeng cable will also not work for programming the AnyTone UV878 radio.

Edit: Do I need to set the logic levels to the TX-500 configuration?

Chris,
For digital modes please use the black cable plugged into Digirig’s socket labeled “audio”.
The green cable is for HT programming using “chirp” software or similar.

You can find additional info in the store listing and posts here relevant to a specific digital mode you are configuring. Here’s the video for a quick VaraFM setup with Baofeng.

I’m trying to program the radio via the Digirig. Maybe that won’t work?

I don’t have AT-878uv+ to test it, but I found a eBay listing for Baofeng programming cable that is also listed as compatible with this Anytone model. The seller is a ham and claims to have it personally tested. This suggests that the same cable and logic levels configuration should work, but the required software may be different.

I just tried to use the DR with the CPS software on my 878 to no avail. It works fine with the Anytone cable. I was able to program my Baofeng using CHIRP with no prob. Didn’t your radio come with a programming cable? If so, why bother trying to program with the DR? Just curious. I am going to try and see if I can get the 878 to work Winlink though. Good luck.

73’s

Rick, K7RCR

1 Like

Rick,
Thanks for the report. Did you use green Baofeng cable in Digirig’s serial socket and changed the COM port in settings?

They’re not the same. I think someone may have not looked past the connector type. The AnyTone radios don’t use the serial chip required by a lot of the other radios, as they have a controller of some sort embedded in them. You can tell from the legit cables at the USB end.

It’s ok; I didn’t get these Baofeng cables with the AnyTone in mind. I lost mine and figured I’d give this a shot before ordering a replacement. But I’m not sure the tag in the marketplace site is accurate.

Denis,

That’s what I did. I have two Baofeng’s and they both work fine with the DR. I was hoping that maybe by turning the squelch off on the Anytone it would be a quick fix and allow me to get the Anytone to work with the DR, but no joy.

I will say also that I was going to have to buy a new BF cable but not now.

Denis, thank you for supporting your product so well.

73’s

1 Like

Rick,
Thanks for clarifying that the programming cable situation.
Are we ok with AT and the Bfeng audio cable for packet?

Denis,

Haven’t had an opportunity to try packet with the Baofeng yet. I have not been able to get the AT 878 to work with a DR or SL. Since I have not been able to get the AT to work I am going to abandon trying to get it to work with either soundcard for now. Since I have two VHF radios I can do digital with I’m happy, again, for now.

Rick, K7RCR

I’ll be getting a replacement AnyTone cable in the next couple of days, and I check the pinouts to see what’s what. I’ll update here if I remember.

1 Like

Maybe a bit late here, but unlike Baofengs which require a special interface (such as CP2102), the Anytones already have this inside. The digirig has a CP2102 inside for data and a CM108 sound card chip for converting both into the USB.

The digirig could have an optional method in future versions to bypass the CP2102 if it recognizes TTL UART is on the Digirig input (radio output) and bypass the serial signal.

1 Like

Step-by-step setup of Winlink on Anytone 878/868
Configuring VARA FM with DIGIRIG for efficient communication
Optimizing your setup for both Windows 10 and Windows 11
https://youtu.be/qxoqNJoGbJw
SETUP Winlink Anytone 878 or 868 VARA FM & DIGIRIG HAM RADIO EMAIL Grid down Windows 10/11 KH6ML