Cables for Yaesu FT-847

Yaesu FT-847 features:

• 3.5mm TRS connector for HF packet
  • MiniDin6 connector for FM packet
  • DB9 connector for CAT control (requires RS-232 port configuration)

At the time of posting MiniDin6 cable with 1200 baud pinout & DB9 cables are available in TS-480 kit. MiniDin6 cable with 9600 baud pinout and DB9 RS-232 cable are also available separately.

TRS cable however requires a homebrew build:

There is no need for capacitor because Digirig has it internally. With that in mind the pinout is:

3.5mm TRS tip β†’ 3.5mm TRRS ring 1 (RIG_AFIN)
3.5mm TRS ring β†’ 3.5mm TRRS tip (RIG_AFOUT)
3.5mm TRS sleeve β†’ 3.5mm TRRS sleeve (GND)
3.5mm TRRS ring 2 (PTT) β†’ 2K β†’ 3.5mm TRRS ring 1 (RIG_AFIN)

Manual can be found here.

Denis,

This is really useful information. Thank you for the diagrams and the detail behind the required cables. I had not thought about needing different cables for 1200 or 9600, but I know the 6-pin MINI DIN does have different connections for the RX side, so this makes sense.

Mike VA3MCT

1 Like

I have the cables all connected, but do not seem to be able to do CAT control through the RS232. IT will do PTT thru the RS232, but not CAT. I Know how to configure CAT over USB to RS232 cables. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Mike,
Looks like this Yaesu use crossover RS-232 connections. I see you ordered Kenwood cable as part of the kit which is straight. From manual:

I do have some number of crossover cables that are not listed in store. You can order from regular listing and leave a note that you want the cable swapped out.

Thanks, that info could help. I have dozens of old RS232 cables so may already have the required crossover or I could build one. If not I’ll reach out to order from you.

2 Likes

I purchased a null modem adapter and all is working without issue now. Thanks for the knowledge and update.
I am using one digiirig on the FT847 for VHF/UHF and the RS232 side of the digirig is doing all CAT control. I am also using a SignalinkUSB for the HF side (FT847 has separate distinct connectors), but I am still using the DIGIRIG RS232 for CAT control on the HF side.
I am also using a second digirig for the FTM400xdr and really happy with how easily it worked.

1 Like

Old discussion, but I just got off the phone with another FT-847 owner and we had audio connected through MiniDin6 PKT port. Our finding is that it works for UHF/VHF, but not for HF.

It gets the received audio and PTT, but no transmit audio from Digirig to the radio. That will have to go through 3.5mm TRS β€œData” socket. Bummer that different cables are required, but what appears to be the case.

1 Like