Configuring IC706MkII

Hi guys - I’m trying to configure my recently acquired Digirig to work with my Icom706MkII

While I appear to have thigs set correcty in both JTDX and the radio CI-V controls it ain’t workinig as it should. Runninig W10 on a laptop. Cables specifically for this rig were bought with the controller.

I cannot get the CAT control to work. While the audio input (to PC) appears to be working I cannot adjust the volume into the computer so the audio level indicator is off the scale. I am decoding stations though but the waterfall display looks very “skinny” compared to the display on my K3S running on a completely different system.

Has anybody here been succesful in setting up Digirig with the IC706MkII?

73 G4CXT

Re. audio: are you able to adjust the levels using the system settings in Control Panel as described in the tutorials?

Re. CAT: Make sure the baud rate is matched between the radio and computer, straight end of CI-V cable goes into Digirig’s serial socket, angled goes into transceiver and (my favorite and most frequent issue), the CI-V cable goes into CI-V remote socket, and will not work when plugged in any other 3.5mm socket on the back.

I have had no issues wit the 703+, which is the HF-6m QRP version in WL. Other Digi modes I have not tried.

Thanks for the hints. I’m pretty sure I have done all these things correctly, but will of course re-check!

Sounds like a plan. If it keeps giving you trouble, please post the screenshots of configuration and picture of the connections.

No joy as yet. How do I add images to a post?

Drag-n-drop them in the message editor from the file explorer

Still struggling with this - some pictures follow:

1. Device manager on PC

Would value any observations to assist!

Thanks

1. audio set-up in JTDX

1. Bad photo showing the rig connections to the Digirig unit.
  1. Bad photo showing the rig connections to the Digirig unit.

Thank you for the pictures.

I see that your CI-V cable has a black angled side. I have an updated version (green plastic on transceiver side). It has ring contact disconnected. Several ICOM models had issue with that connection. I’ll send you the updated cable. Let me know if you wanted any other gear so we can combine the international shipment.

Excellent, but hold fire as I will purchase some other cables, and will check details in the morning . Also I have a cunning plan as I will be in CA in a week’s time and you can post to my son’s address in LA

1 Like

I’m having the same problems. I can get the CAT control to work with the Digirig and FLRIg, but the PTT hangs and either stays on constant or comes on when I press PTT and will not release unless I press INIT again in FLRIg. I swear I’ve tried every RTS combination and can’t seem to get it to work. Do the CIV settings on the radio make a difference? (last two menus on the 706, 36 and 37 I think)

Anyone who’s got a IC-706MK2G working with FLRig and especially the VarAC mode that could post a screenshot of their settings would be awesome.

Thanks and 73’s
KK7BWS

Jason, check out “sticky PTT section” in the troubleshooting guide. You’re dealing with RFI disrupting serial comms.

I have tried about everything with the IC-706MK2G and a digirig mobile and still can’t get it to not hang the PTT. Reset the ICOM to factory settings. All CAT functions work, but I’ve tried chokes on everything, my SWR is 1.2 and 1.4 on 20m and 40m on this antenna. Turned TX power down, it still hangs the PTT. I have to hit INIT in FLRig to get it to disconnect. I’ve tried changing the Baud and the CIV address and nothing seems to work.

Here are my settings:

FLRIG
BAUD RATE- 9600

DATA BITS- 8

STOP BITS- 1

PTT- RTS (BOTH)

PORT- COM2

MODE- USB

IC-706MKII2G Settings:

37 CI-V 731 OFF

36 CI-V TRN OFF

35 CI-V BAUD 9600

34 CI-V ADDRESS 58H

33 OFF

32 LO

31 ENG

30 VSRND SEL. ON

1. 9600 MODE. 9600

Let’s look at the screenshots of the transceiver and PTT configuration sections in the software.
You may have the hardware flow control enabled in CAT settings that that may be messing with the PTT.

flrig icom

flrig icom rts

I did also make sure the port settings for the digirig matched baud, etc. in device manager.