Configuring IC706MkII

I found the same solution.

While I didn’t have a Torrid, I did have a large choke meant for a bigger cable.

I made two alternating direction wraps on each side of the choke as shown in the picture.

I was able to make QSO’s up to 100W power on WSJTX using the program native PTT CAT control, and use FLRig for JS8Call and VarAC.

Note - when using FLRig the PTT still hangs (as in the above video) when using just the FLRIG PTT and no radio program. But when using JS8 Call and VarAC it seems to TX on and Off fine.

2 Likes

1 Like

Just a thought, but I have my MKIIG in a go kit.
Would putting the Digirig, and most of the extra wiring in a small metal box in my go kit help at all?
I’m sure it won’t be a complete seal, but if we can reduce the amount of wiring exposed to RFI, perhaps RFI becomes less of an issue. Shorter wires make for lesser antennas and all.

I only have a single cable for the Icom Ic-706MkII.
I have the Digirig.
Windows 10 PC

Yaesu and Icom 9600 baud MiniDin6 audio cable for Digirig Mobile – digirig

Has anyone one got Winlink working with a this single cable? If so please share?

I would like to use Vara FM on VHF and Vara HF.

Mahalo for your help in advance.

Michael - KH6ML

Michael,
That cable should provide sufficient functionality: audio in both directions and PTT. You will not have optional serial CAT control. While configuring VaraHF/VaraFM, select PTT method by RTS of Digirig’s com port. Here are some relevant discussions about Vara:

1 Like

Breathing life into an old conversation… for better or worse. I wanted to try my hand at digital modes for the first time and was hoping to use my trusty IC-706MKIIG. Recently bought a Digirig (CI-V), appropriate cable pair for this radio (ICOM 706), all three USB cables (short, long, A&C), and a USB Isolator (just in case) from Digirig. Followed the excellent Digirig ‘How-To’ Guide for Windows 10 (Rev 1.3) by N1SPW. So far so good. Then came my efforts to set up FLRig.

Using the most recent version of FLRig (2.0.05) the very limited CAT control for this radio worked but I faced the dreaded “sticky PTT” problem. No amount of fiddling with settings could correct it. Interestingly I found that a fast double click of the FLRig PTT would usually turn the radio PTT off… certainly not how this is all supposed to work.

Reviewed all the troubleshooting tips on the Digirig site. Radio on low power and using a large battery source. Dummy load with coax choke inline. Assumed where I was using all Digirig hardware/cables I shouldn’t have to worry about RFI but tried all USB cables with and without the USB Isolator anyway. Nothing eliminated the “sticky PTT”. Time to test hardware.

1. 13 pin cable plugged into the radio but removed from Digirig. Manually shorted the PTT line to ground on the Digirig end. Radio PTT worked exactly as expected.
  2. 13 pin cable connected on the Digirig end but removed from radio. Placed a multi-meter across the PTT/Ground pins on the radio end. FLRig PTT button worked exactly as expected

This appeared to rule out radio, cables, and the Digirig. Time to look at the computers (2 Windows 10 machines) & the FLRig software.

After digging around forum after forum on many sites, in a location I forgot to note, I saw someone mention that the last version of FLRig they could get to work correctly with a 706MKIIG was v1.44. I was skeptical of this claim as that is 8 versions back in the “Archives” list. After ending up at the same dead end, “sticky PTT”, on both my Windows 10 computers, I figured I had nothing to lose so I downloaded and installed FLRig v1.44.

The first time through the setup routine, with different Xcvr and PTT screens than current versions, total success… on both computers! Radio functions as expected and doesn’t have a “sticky PTT”. Just to make sure this wasn’t a fluke I tried FLRig v1.46 (1.45 is oddly not listed on their site). This appears to be the first version with the newer Xcvr and PTT setup screens. FLRig v1.46 suffered from the “sticky PTT” problem on both computers.

All tests suggest the radio and all Digirig components are working fine and that my issue is with the FLRig software. Does anyone have this combo working with anything newer than v1.44? Did I miss anything? Understanding that this is the Digirig forum I’ll start looking to the FLRig groups to see if this experience is normal or unique. Sorry for such a long first post but hope this helps others with the 706MKIIG. Also, appreciate any feedback. - N1DAE

1 Like

David,
Thank you for the detailed information.
With the same hardware working on different version of FlRig, the issue not likely caused by RFI. What I think is going on is RlRig is using RTS signal of the COM port for hardware flow control which in case of Digirig keys up the transceiver.

Using FlRig 2.x I was able to configure correct PTT by RTS behavior in “PTT control on Separate Serial Port”, but the same settings in “PTT on CAT Serial Port” are acting up regardless of RTS config in XCVR section. There is definitely some bug there.

Appreciate the feedback. When you configured “PTT control on Separate Serial Port”, were you using software or some other method to provide a second COM port? I just relied on the one Digirig provided and tried to use that portion of the configuration. When I hit “Init” it kicks out my selections. I’ll grab some screen shots for a follow up post.

I did not give CAT control (XCVR none) any ports so I could select Digirig’s COM port as “other”.

Got it. Still have A LOT to learn about all this. Tried to follow all the tips/tricks/suggestions before posting. Sounds like I’m on the right track. Appears the bug cropped up between v1.44 & v1.46… also when the “PTT-Generic” window and settings switched to the current style. Odd that this issue still exists 8 revisions later with many still having the same “sticky PTT” issue with the 706MKIIG. Thanks for the help and troubleshooting!

1 Like

Just a follow-up… I MAY have found the issue with the IC-706MKIIG setup. Stubborn as I am, I kept digging around in and playing with the settings for FLRig v2.0.05. Under “Configure, Poll, Additional Controls” I noticed that there is a PTT selection that was checked by default. After removing the checkmark the “Sticky PTT” issue appears resolved!

K0TX, is there any chance you can test this on your end to see if it’s a true solution?

1 Like

I don’t have the same radio, but you can try re-enabling the box to see if the issue comes back. This will tell you if the resolution was coincidental with change or caused by it.

1 Like

This setting definitely appears to be the key. Really appreciate the feedback and help with an issue that ultimately wasn’t the fault of my Digirig. Thanks for your patience and offering such a solid product!

1 Like