Digirig and Echolink

Has anyone gotten Echolink to work with DigiRig?

I attach the Digirig to the computer and it assigns it to port 15. I configure Echolink to use port 15. I restart and Echolink complains that the port is in use by another program.

I reassigned it from port 15 to port 2 (unused), and get the same message.

I’m planning to run through a Baofeng UV-5R. I used the factory cable with black dual connector to the Baofeng, and connected to the audio port of the Digirig.

I checked the Digirig by using the other cable (green) to connect to the serial port, and was able to successfully use CHIRP to program the Baofeng.

Has anyone sucessfully connected the digirig to Echolink? Any tips or tricks?

Don KI5AIU

I have been investigating an Echolink/Wires-X Bridge using Digirig.
I have successufly done it using SignalLink USB. The vox is ok and the audio is hard to set. The delay by the vox is no problem as Wires-x has a built in delay…
I am looking to make a cleaner no knob install.
Will be using a FTM 7250D radio/ Digirig / Yaesu RJ-12 cable for Digirig Mobile / EchoLink software / Windows 10.

1 Like

Did it tonight and a net checkin using echo link on a desktop pc connected to the Digirig connected to the UV5R in VOX (set to 1) and then simplex relay to my Yaesu VX6R. Both radios set to their lowest power level.

Once I got the sound levels right it was pretty slick. I was mostly worried the UV5R wouldn’t be able to handle the longish TX duty cycle of 90 mins but aside from a little warm it worked like a champ.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. If the software supports PTT by RTS (Digirig’s primary method) then you will not have to rely on VOX.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I got Digirig working once I told Echolink to run as a Windows XP application! It works VOX; but I was hoping for PTT. On PTT, it will transmit; but it won’t pass received audio back to the PC.

It’s a work in progress; I may just have to run VOX on the Baofeng UV-5R.

Don KI5AIU

1 Like

I had been using a Baofeng UV-5R as an Echolink radio, and it worked just fine. I later switched to a Yaesu FT-70 because I was having an unrelated issue with the radio itself. Honestly, I preferred the audio quality of the Baofeng to the Yaesu. I have used it in both client and sysop mode without issue. Works like a champ! And Echolink will key either radio through the Digirig using DTR.

Did you ever get the problem of “No received audio going back to the PC”? I am setting up a similar sysop system with a Baofeng (UV-9R Plus), and it has the same issue! I am pulling my hair out, trying to figure out what thing(s) I have missed.
Thanks for any help you can provide, since there is NOT a lot of info online for setting up Echolink w/ a DigiRig Mobile.
73- Chris KE4WRN

Chris,
You can check “listen” box on Digirig’s recording device in the Control Panel and that will patch the audio received by Digirig to the computer’s default playback device (speakers).

Relevant resources:

1 Like

Denis, 10-31-23

So, here is my project: I am trying to hook up a Baofeng UV-9R Plus HT (W/ the appropriate adapter cable, paddle style to K-plug adapter) (Squelch set to 1, and Volume is as low as possible). I have Digirig’s Baofeng cable kit, DigiRig USB A – C cable kit. I am running the Echolink program on Windows 10, on an Evolve iii, Maestro Laptop PC.

I followed all your setup instructions for setting up the PC. I even had to update & download the Silicon Labs driver, which is NOW recognized (w/ a COM Port #).

Upon the initial hook up, I had Echolink transmitting out Voice & morse code to the HT radio and that radio transmitted out!

BUT when used another HT, to transmit to the rig’s HT, it did not appear to activate the Echolink program’s DTMF dialer.

After working on it last night and again this morning, I did check the “Listen Box”, and verified that audio was coming through my cables, DigiRig, and into the PC. After rechecking other settings, closing Echolink, re-opening Echolink, It suddenly was able to receive and activate the DTMF Dialer…

BUT then I had no audio transmitting out!

I know from experience with Echolink and Windows 10, that this program requires a perfect harmony of all settings to work! I either have an issue with Win10 sound settings, Echolink settings, or Both?

But I do feel sure that the hardware is working… for now!?

Do you recommend running a Baofeng HT on VOX or Not? It seems the RTS trigger is working as designed.

If you have a list of all the Win10 settings to setup / check, that would help too. (I may have forgotten something?!)

Any extra help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Chris Sewell – KE4WRN

I’d stick with PTT by RTS. It’s reliable and always perfectly timed.
As for the audio, make sure Digirig’s playback and recording devices are assigned as audio source/destination in the software you are configuring. The defaults assignments should be removed from Digirig’s components in the Control Panel.

For basic steps for setting up Digirig with HT see this video:

1 Like

I’m pretty lost here. I have the digirig, an ID-5100a, and echolink setup on a windows 10 laptop, and I’m trying to get the three to work together. I have the cable that plugs into the digirig and also into the TRS speaker 1 and mic plugs on the radio. I can see port 6 is added when I plug in the digirig to the laptop, also see the new mic and playback devices, which I’ve renamed digirig. I have the programming cable plugged into the data port on the radio and when plugged into the laptop, it creates port 7. I have no clue what settings to use in Echolink or in FLDIGI (if even needed) to get this to work. Any suggestions, instructions, or videos available that could walk me through this?