Digirig lite with baofeng cables and direwolf software

I am using the Digirig lite for APRS with direwolf but cannot get the computer to recognize it as a com port it will show up in my audio devices as the name i made for it but will not show in coms and LPT. i have the adapter cables and everything is ready i just need the com port number it is in to put in direwolf. Any suggestions? Totally new to digital modes so any advice would be very helpful.

Short answer:

DR-lite, so no COM port. Use VOX or GPIO3 for PTT.

73 Constrainted

so the digi light doesn’t use a com port?

The dire wolf config needs to know what port its in in order to do anything I thought.

From the product page:

A minimalistic version of Digirig with the same audio code as regular model of the interface but without serial port.

• combines audio codec and PTT switch
  • supports PTT by GPIO3 of CM108 audio codec
  • supports VOX PTT by the tone on the unused right channel (experimental)
  • works with all major OS flavors: Windows, MacOS and Linux
  • uses a single TRRS connector compatible with existing Digirig audio cables
  • growing collection of pre-made cables including popular Icom, Yaesu, Elecraft, Baofeng, Xiegu transceivers
  • isolation can be easily added using inexpensive USB isolator dongle

Discussion and software configuration examples can be found in this thread.

If you are doing APRS, you need a hardware TNC or a software TNC/modem like soundmodem. Direwolf will communicate with soundmodem, for instance.

73 Constrainted

ok I think I got it now so I need a client application to run with dire wolf?

OK. Direwolf qualifies as a software TNC/modem. I misrepresented it. A typical application program for APRS is YAAC or Pinpoint. Did you mention your OS?

73 Constrainted

Use of the serial port for PTT is just one of many PTT methods. Because Digirig Lite doesn’t have the serial port, you’ll need to use one of the other methods, either GPIO3 (also known as RA Board) or VOX.

Former is a better choice and involves using direwolf version 1.7 (or later) and adding “PTT CM108” to the direwolf.conf file.

just define ptt as gpio or ra-board in the direwolf config instead of ptt via RTS (comport)
i forget the syntax as i use the windows equivalent, soundmodem

it ‘could’ be:
PTT CM108
(cm108 being the audio chip)

good luck
kb0wlf