Digirig not being recognized by Rasberry Pi 3

I’m trying to get my Digirig running on a Pi. 3, Model B Plus (Rev 1.3). I installed Km4ack’s “Build-A-Pi” on a basic install of the Pi OS (minimal). I’ve plugged in the Digirig, and when I run “arecord -l” the output only shows:

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

When I run “lsusb” is only shows the default USB devices:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:7800 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I’ve exhausted my troubleshooting (and my patience). A Pi 4 is on the way, but I’m really hoping to be able figure this out.

1 Like

Is Digirig detected by any other computers while using the same USB cable?
Could be a charge-only cable.

basic troubleshooting. I missed that one. Charge only cable. Digirig is recognized now. Thank you, sir!

2 Likes

One other thing I’ll mention: Once I got a data cable, I was still having problems with the Pi. It would recognize the DigiRig, but when there was any sort of activity, I would get a “Device unrecognized” error. I eventually figured out that my Pi was a little underpowered. The 3.5-watt power supply that came with the Pi is enough to power it alone. I assume the DigiRig draws a watt or so to power it, and there wasn’t enough power when it was trying to “do” something. I switched to a 9-watt power adapter, and things seem to be fine (with the exception of my other problem I recently posted :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info. That is really helpful for troubleshooting.

In my testing Digirig pulls around 60-70mA at 5V so we are looking at about a third of a watt, but that might have been enough in your case to sag the power line and make some hardware brownout.

1 Like

[quote=“stusmith, post:1, topic:2923”]
I’ve exhausted my troubleshooting (and my patience). A Pi 4 is on the way, but I’m really hoping to be able figure this out.

On a Raspi 4 both serial port and audio channel are recognized immediately. Tested it.

But may I ask why you bought a Raspi 4 ? I just received my Raspi 5 and it is at least 4 times quicker than the 4. It is really impressive and not that more expensive. It also comes with a 27 watts 5.1 volts power supply. You read this correctly that is 5.1 volts and not the cheaper alternatives that supply 5 volts (or slightly less). It gives 5.5 Amps so if you decide to add an external USB SSD disk or Pimoroni NVME disk adapter (I am waiting for it) you will end up with a machine tnat can almost beat any Intel PC !!!

Michel VE2BJG

Good question. I am a bit a cheapskate when it comes to hobby projects.