DigiRig on a Smartphone

Greetings,

Is there a way to use Apps like WOAD with DigiRig connected to the smartphone and using it to directly PTT a handheld radio? I am aware some had made FT8CN work, but I am looking to using WOAD or similar apps to access our VHF packet network with requires constant handshaking, so VOX won’t do. I know some functionality should be already built in on the apps, but I am just curious, as it would reduce the hardware to carry during an emergency. Thanks to all!

WoAD does have PTT by RTS option in the settings under sessions->select session->settings->TNC configuration->PTT USB RTS

Other relevant posts can be found here: Topics tagged software-woad

Thanks!

My present version doesn’t have the PTT option, but I went to the link and got the right version. I am working now on getting it to run, but for some reason, when I plug the DigiRig , APRSdroid gets launched. Is there a way to de-associate the DigiRig from that app? Thanks again!

Fount the relevant setting under
System Settings → Apps and Notifications → WoAD → Open by default → Clear Defaults

1 Like

Greetings!

So far so good with WOAD, as far as packet is concerned. I started experimenting with VARA FM and noticed that the setup doesn’t reference the PTT port at all and the TNC Type is only TCP/IP, I don’t think it should be that way, do you?

Thanks de WP3BM

VaraFM is know to work with Digirig and you’ll find the config recommendations in these discussions: Topics tagged software-varafm

Hi!

Yes VARA FM works when using Winlink, but I think there is an issue with the configuration on WOAD. There is no other option besides TCP/IP, which makes no sense at all.

73, WP3BM

VaraFM modem uses a closed-source protocol and there is no implementation on Android. The only option at this time is to tap a Windows machine over the network and this is the option you see in WoAD config.

1 Like

There is a group working on a VARA alternative. I don’t think it’s in even alpha stage though.

1 Like

Yes, it’s high on the ham wish list. In one of the interviews The Tech Prepper said that he’ll pay 20K from his channel’s revenue for an open source implementation of Vara.