Digirig on HTs & mobile phone

I’m interested in using my Digirig Mobile for FT8 on 2m. I have two HTs available—Icom ID-52A & Baofeng UV-5R—and mobile phones from both Android (w/ FT8CN) and iOS (w/ iFTx). I also have the Digirig data cables that go to those radios. But I’ve not yet found a combination of radio and app that I can get to work on 2m. Anyone that can advise with any success in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Likewise any recommendations on settings for a workable comb.

Ditto for the above discussion to get on Winlink (e.g. WoAD on Android).

Thanks in advance!

I tried using FT8 over FM as a proof of concept and it worked for 1:1 session.
The benefits of the FT8 (weak signal from multiple stations) are wasted on FM so for practical use case you’ll be better of utilizing a specific protocol like packet or VaraFM.

1 Like

Thanks, Denis. I really appreciate your support of this community and Digirig in general.

I’m interested to try modes other than FT8 on HT, but my understanding is that I’ll need a P4Dragon modem for packet. I found your video on getting set up with VARA FM on Digirig & Baofeng UV-5R (https://youtu.be/MUDQYuvYAeI?si=yu4sKweFQc5_-3vL\). I’m following that, though I need to find a local digipeater for the auto tune step.

Regards,
Mike

p4 dragon is used for pactor on hf

packet, 1200 baud, for fm use, is ‘built in’ woad.
(woad can generate the tones by itself and output through a digirig or other audio device)

As Denis stated, 2m ht is good for working nearby packet or vara stations/gateways.
aprs and sstv are 2 more ‘digi modes’ that could be used on a 2m ht + digirig + android phone app.

good luck!
kb0wlf

Thanks, Chris. I’ve been trying to get on data modes on HT and HF at the same time, so sometimes I get my “wires crossed”. I bought an Icom ID-52A back in April when the Kenwood TH-D75A had just came out and was immediately sold out at all outlets. Kicking myself for not waiting now, since the Kenwood HT has APRS while the Icom does not.

Cool that packet is built into WoAD.

I hadn’t considered SSTV options; I found some YouTube videos on the topic that look informative.

Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Mike K06CGS