Digirig satisfaction!

Greetings from Idaho. My name is Steve Galbraith . My callsign is KB7ITU. I am one of 6 digital trainers for the area. We use the digital modes for emergency communications. I knew that the digirig was beginning to get popular so decided i should buy one and learn how to help others set it up. What a breeze. In 10 minutes I had it working with my kenwood ht and in another 10 minutes I had it woking on my kenwood tm-v71a. If you are going to use it on VARA FM you will need , in some cases to cutt the trace between the two pads marked att. The audio is a little too high for that mode. Once I cut the trace it worked with no problem. What a great product and price.

73 All,
Steve

7 Likes

Steve,
Thank you so much for your feedback.
Happy to hear you enjoy using Digirig!

4 Likes

What cable did you use?

Richard,
For Kenwood TM-V71A you can use the same cables set as Yaesu FT-8xx transceivers. The only difference is that for CAT control Digirig needs to be in RS-232 configuration

2 Likes

So all I need for the V71A is the Digirig with the RS-232 option and the “Yaesu FT-8xx cords for Digirig Mobile”? I don’t need the “Yaesu and Icom 9600 baud MiniDin6 audio cable”, right? 73

1 Like

Yes, that will get you going. If at some point you decide to try 9600 baud you can replace 1200 baud cable that came with Yaesu FT-8xx kit with that one. In most of the modes you will not see any difference, but you might get faster winlink sessions.

2 Likes

Thank you, Denis! Actually I’d really like to do 9600 straight out - that’s very much my aim for Winlink sessions via VARA FM wide. I don’t suppose there’s a slightly more efficient way to acquire the 9600 baud 6 pin and the serial 8 pin without the redundant 6 pin in the Yaesu set?

1 Like

You can leave a note with your FT-8xx cable kit order and I’ll swap out the MiniDin6 cable for 9600 version.

EDIT: let me first confirm the 9600 pinout on TM-V71A. Some radios (I’m looking at you, FT-891) don’t follow the convention.

EDIT2: We’re good to go, here’s the pinout from the manual:

And here is the cable’s pinout (pin numbers mirrored, but the cable is right):

1 Like

Which version of Digirig did you cut this trace between pads att? This audio high level is a creeping problem for some users.

1 Like

I’m trying to debug an issue I’m having with a second-hand DigiRig v1.9 + Kenwood TM-V71A combo I purchased a few months ago that I’m just getting around to setting up. I already have this combo, both units purchased brand new, running as a mobile rig with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ in my truck and it works perfectly. Using the exact same OS configuration but with this used DigiRig and radio, I’m having audio level issues where even setting the recording level to 6% (lowest possible) in alsamixer in Ubuntu, Dire Wolf still complains of audio levels being too high with some being around 120-150. I also tried setting this same thing up in Windows and the same issue with high audio levels occurs.

EDIT: I decided to cut the trace between the two ATT pads as a test, knowing I could resolder them together if needed, however I don’t need to because it works now! I set the Capture level to 56 and now Dire Wolf is reporting audio levels between 40-70.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for reporting your solution to this issue! Glad to know attenuation brought it within range.

73 Constrainted

1 Like