Digirig + Soundmodem+ Outpost Buffer

I am using Digirig with Soundmodem to log onto a BBS and retrieve emails (ARES BBS using Outpost). If the email is very short, no problem. However, if it is more than a few lines long, it seems to time out. I can see about 1/2 of the email downloading then it stops and it never totally downloads.

I am thinking maybe there is a buffer size setting, but new to all of this. If anyone can offer suggestions, much appreciated.

Joe

1 Like

Digirig is a soundcard and there is no issue to continuously send or receive audio with it. The timeout maybe on your transceiver or the remote station. For a test just try holding PTT without even Digirig connected. Do you get the timeout?

Thanks, but I now see where the data is coming across to the soundcard, so I guess it is working OK, but only half the message gets into Outpost, so it may be an outpost setting. There was some init commands that outpost suggested I put into a modem doing AWGPE, I put them in the soundmodem init file but seems to still be a problem.

I think the problem is, is that the command prompt that soundmodem sends back is not compatible with the BBS I am on. Is there a way to change the command prompt in sound modem?

I may be wrong on this, but I would think that if any of the principal settings were off, you wouldn’t be able to exchange any emails, short or long.

Good point but for some reason it downloads half the email then soundmodem sends a command and thats where outpost hangs

Hi Joe, I am embarking on a similar use of Digirig with Outpost and want to ask a related question. What Outpost TNC did you select or create to get Outpost to treat VARA FM as an operable TNC? - Jeff AJ6LG

That’s frustrating when a client can’t handle long messages.

I do not know Outpost or how to configure it.

I use EasyTerm written by UZ7HO, the author of soundmodem, to communicate with packet nodes and BBS systems. It is not a mail client, but it sends commands to the BBS to list, read, forward, delete, compose, and send mail/messages via packet BBS.

Maybe it can be a workaround for you.

73 Constrainted

I am having the exact same issue. Have you found and answer yet?

Same issue. I have written it off to Outpost being glitchy. While it is difficult for me to reproduce my results in a truly scientific manner, here are my impressions which have allowed me to keep using Outpost:
It works great on direct packet connections from station to station or connecting to a hardware TNC like a KPC and it is fast.
Introduce a digipeater and it is hit and miss. I had some increased performance by increasing the TX delay in Soundmodem to values between 400 and 600ms. But it seems like the TX delay of the other station matters more. You can’t control this unless you have a relationship with the digipeater operator. Often trying a second time ends up working. Packet crashes don’t help the probability of the exchange completing either. Outpost doesn’t work with Easyterm mailboxes. There are some customization features in Outpost, but that’s above my skill level at this point.
Also make sure you don’t have any other packet terminal software running at the same time as Outpost with the same call sign as they will conflict. if you figure it out I would love to hear about it. I’ll be adding Digirig to my packet station after learning it works with my packet radio. Good luck.

KF9CP