Digirig with FT-857D and mAT-30 auto tuner

Interesting thought… I suppose that could work as well - thoughts, Denis??

The typical connection is through the rear panel, but from what I heard on some transceivers the CAT is also available via the front connector. The only potential issue I see is the outputs conflict when two serial devices trying to TX over the same line. Shouldn’t be an issue if mic’s TX line is disconnected.

Of course if the device was attached to the side of the radio, the mic could be unplugged while doing digital modes. It might make the device smaller and easier to use/ make.

Yes, that is a good point. However, my goal, besides digital modes, is to enable CAT control for Ham Radio Deluxe rig control and logging as well, while doing SSB voice, and having the tuner available.

I would think that this device would work for that. You would not be keying the mic when changing bands. Your in-line coupling with a wire would provide the same situation. My 857 with the mat30 tuner mean the digirig needs cat control from something other than the minidin 8.

I thought I saw this concept before. Please check out this post:

1 Like

Like that, great input!

Great thread Denis, thank you!! I have a bunch of parts arriving saturday so I’ll have options. I am going out of town sunday for two weeks, but plan to take this project with me if I don’t git er done saturday night :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please post your results!

1 Like

Hello all! I am out of town, as I said, and I forgot to bring the RJ45 coupler. So I’m going the RJ45 to TRRS route. Denis, Can you tell me where the TRRS wires need to connect for the Digirig?

Here is the little pigtail I got:

And here are the connections I need to make, as I understand it:

So, trying to be clear, I’m going from RJ45 cable to TRRS instead of MiniDIN8. Am I making sense? My tentative plan is to cut a CAT6 patch cable in half, and splice the necessary wires to the TRRS pigtail. Then use the RJ45 splitter as Mrisakson suggested above.

EDIT - one additional question: The TRRS pigtail has 4 wires, but I only need 3, apparently… I can use a tester and find which wires are T, R, R, and S - but which ones do I actually need, and what do I do with the “spare” wire? Just cut it off and make sure it’s insulated from anything else?

Thanks!

Tip should be TX
Ring 1 should be RX
Sleeve should be GROUND
Verify with Denis

1 Like

Here are the connection’s on Digirig’s side. The signal names are from the perspective of the transceiver, e.g. RIG_RXD is transceiver’s serial input. Unless the documentation clearly states the perspective for the signal names, you might need to try both ways. I’d go with RIG_RXD to RXD first.

Second ring is not connected on Digirig’s side unless the interface is configured for TX-500. You can leave R2 unconnected on cable’s end as well.

Denis,

Thank you very much! I put the cable together this morning. Unfortunately, when I plug it in (with the radio off), the radio turns on briefly as if I had pushed the power button - and then turns itself off. It will not turn back on until I unplug the cable. Not sure what I got wrong lol. Pics of the cable construction:

I just realized the CAT6 cable wires I had folded back MIGHT be shorting with each other.

1 Like

The pinout of the connected wires checks out.
And yeah, if wires randomly short you’ll get random results. Looking forward to update following the fix.

Well… I have verified no shorts, but same result. Only when it’s plugged into the digirig, not when it’s only plugged in on the RJ45 side. I’ll have to come back to this later, but any further ideas or advice are welcome

If we just listen to the serial without sending anything, there should be nothing happening:
Try connecting GND and RIG_TXD only, leaving RIG_RXD unconnected. If the effect is the same try connecting the other signal to the same RIG_TXD pin on the Digirig. It is possible that the RX/TX is given from the different perspective.

Also assuming you plug TRRS side into Digirig’s “serial” socket.

Roger! Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that. And yes, I’m plugging the TRRS into the serial side. The audio side is already plugged in with the other cable you provided.

Well, it’s not exactly success, but it’s not doing weird things with the radio power anymore.

I followed your suggestion and disconnected RIG_RXD. It did not do the power thing.

I RE-connected RIG_RXD where it was before, and it still did not do the power thing. But I was unable to connect the radio to the programming software, nor Ham Radio Deluxe.

I swapped RXD and TXD. Same situation. No weird power issues, but also no CAT connection to PC.

I also noticed that of all the buttons on the mic, only two worked - the PTT and the “FAST” button that switches the VFO to fast mode. None of the other buttons did anything.

Not sure what I’m missing here…

AHHHH I believe I have the pinout on the RJ45 side backwards! The diagram for the radio is showing the SOCKET (“female”) side, and I’m connecting wires based on the plug/male!