I had everything working fine on my old Windows 10 PC and now I’m on Win 11 and a new PC. I have Winlink and VARA FM working just fine. When I switch to VARA HF with the SAME radio and soundcard settings I’m getting no Xmit Audio on HF. I’ve checked all the sound settings in Windows and they look OK. Is there some setting in the radio keeping this from working?
I’ve already watched that and ran all the tests. The audio is OK when using 2 meters FM but no audio output when using HF USB. Receive is OK on HF USB. So it’s not a problem in the digirig, it’s a problem in the TS2000. Also, I tested HF with another radio that uses a different sound card and it worked OK. Any TS2000 users on here with some help?
as @K0TX stated, if the radio + digirig setup/cables were able rx/tx on hf/vhf on one OS but not on another OS, there isn’t a radio setting to fix the problem.
if it were a setting such as Icom’s HSEND/VSEND pins on the 13pin connector, then the radio would not have worked correctly on the old OS either.
(now, if there was no hf tx audio on the old OS, then we’d be looking at the radio)
so it really comes back to program settings.
correct output selection in vara HF
correct L or R selection
(i have L selected in vara HF. not R nor L+R)
drive/output level in vara HF
these are the things i would look at in your position because:
you stated everything worked on the last OS, so no radio menu setting was needed for desired operation.
you stated that vara FM works, so the digirig input/output, as well as the cable set, is not physically broken.
you stated the issue is no audio rather than no PTT.
that’s my guess even though i don’t own a TS-2000.
good luck
kb0wlf
I am having the exact same problem as KD5FX, except I never changed operating systems (Win11) and I’ve verified that the TX works with VARA HF on other software without changing anything in the computer or digirig …so everything works, except when you put the 2000 and the DigiRig together under Winlink VARA HF. I can even switch the PC to “speakers” instead of digirig and I hear the VARA HF tuning tone…driving me nuts.
I thought maybe the keying was using the wrong PTT line(i.e. 13 not pin 9) and muting the ACC2 input…but the microphone isn’t active either.
I rechecked all the TS2000 settings to make sure they were set for external TNC at 1200 (I got the slower cable instead of the 9600…mistake, but shouldn’t be causing this issue)
So I’m wondering if there’s something that the Winlink session does with VARA HF that makes it behave differently…can’t imagine what, but we seem to have eliminated everything else.
Update. So I fired off a note to support asking for help and went back to trouble shooting. As often happens it then immediately fixed itself..or seemed to. I Lowered the audio level alot and what I thought was the tuning tone disappeared..it was overloading. Suddenly everything worked.
So after fiddling with this problem I recommend:
Set the TS2000 audio levels (menu 50) to 1 or maybe 2 if you must.
Set the windows settings sound levels to about 40 or 50%
Use windows sndlvl as the audio adjustment to get below the ALC level.
Adjust levels for each piece of software in the sndlvl window since it keeps track by application. The window also persists so you don’t have to fiddle with multiple clicks just to get the adjustment window back.
You also will likely need a com port splitter to allow some packages to run together (like N1MM and FLDIGI for instance).
Now I am working all the software modes and enjoying 'first ever ’ contacts.