ID-5100 Mobile Up & Running

I was able to use Digirig with my Icom ID-5100. If you want to find out how to set it up, email me.

Happy to hear you got your Icom ID-5100 running with Digirig. I had some operators asking about it.
Please share any information you can in this public post. Thank you.

I’d like to know the magic to get my ID-5100 to play nice with the digirig. I’ve been fighting to get it to work with the Digipi for a awhile now, and require more head banging and hair pulling.
Thanks

4Bs/73
Kilovolt

I have an 8 page screen page print with detailed instructions. I just uploaded this into a PDF. I also show the right cable to connect to the ID-5100. Let me know if you have any questions.
Digirig Settings For ID-5100_Vs_2.0.pdf (400.4 KB)

I use this with fldigi and have all the settings you need to make this work.
Hope this helps!!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the tutorial!

I’m trying to understand the functions of the devices in the chain, specifically USB extension and FTDI based serial UART. There may be a way to simplify this setup.

Looking at the manual, one of the connectivity options is a direct serial port cable to the radio (OPC-1529R):

Digirig happens to have a serial UART of its own so it should be possible to connect the radio straight to it. The pinout for the serial port on the Digirig’s side looks like this:

Matching that to the terminal information above, the straight 1:1 TRS cable should work. The fact that OPC-1529R accessory uses DB9 connector suggests that the serial port’s levels are RS-232; Digirig can be configured for that.

Let me know if you see any fault in this approach.

Thanks for sharing,this may be my next challenge.

4Bs/73

Kilovolt

1 Like

Make sure in fldigi you set it to FM right under the frequency in top right corner. I did not show that correctly. Let me know how I can help. Have fun!!

It should work IF you have a RF-232 port. I have a laptop so there is no RS-232 port for me to connect. I would have to add another RS-232 to USB A cable (male to female) to make it work. I only have USB A ports so I just used an USB A Female to Female adapter. Hope this helps describe my situation and limitations.

MJ

If you have digirig 1.6 or later then your computer has RS-232 port through it. For configuration information see “Duplex serial CAT with RS-232 levels” section of this page.

Which of the Digirig units did you purchase?
Thanks
4Bs/73

Digirig Mobile - Logic Levels (default)
Item# DRMOB $49.97 USD 1 $49.97 USD

Thank you for taking the time to make a PDF to follow and get the Digirig to play nice with the ID-5100. Could you post a picture of your Device manager with the following expanded
1 Audio inputs and Outputs
2 Ports Com & LPT
3 Universal serial Bus Controller

Again thanks for your time and efforts

Here you go. Comm Port 5 is for the digirig. Is this what you needed?

Yes, answers the questions I had, thank you for your time and efforts, hope you have a good day.

Another ham asked for help following the instructions in PDF and I’m trying to make sense of things that I see in it, but having hard time.

#1: Where does the cloning cable get power from?
#2: How is Digirig’s audio output is interfaced back to USB? Is there a pinout for that cable?
#3: In software configuration you refer to Digirig’s serial port (COM7 in this case), but nothing appears to be connected to the serial socket?

For ICOM ID-5100 please use following cable: