ID-52 Interface

Hello,

Radio ID-52

Using the Icom OPC2144 ( Slim L-Type plug adapter cable for speaker-mic & headphone)

Can I use (Yaesu FT-65R Cable for Digirig Mobile – digirig) Yaesu FT-65R Cable for Digirig Mobile Cable along with the Icom OPC2144 adapter to my Digirig?

I am unable to find pinout information for the Icom and I am unsure if the pinout is the same between the two.

From what I understand the OPC-2144 adapter breaks out the connectors for regular stereo headphones and mic.

Here’s the pinout for Yaesu FT-65R cable:

If 3.5mm side of OPC-2144 is for headphones, 2.5mm side is for mic and if the spacing matches (7.5mm) then it might work.

Thank you for the assistance. I will measure the connector spacing and report back. I recently ordered the Yaesu HT cable from the Digirig website.

1 Like

Spacing on the OPC-2144 adapter appears to be 10mm.

2 Likes

Count on me for the ID-52 cable too.

I am trying to get one of those cheap handmic and give this it a try.

2 Likes

I tried to use separate 2.5mm and 3.5mm to connect to the jacks. Unfortunately mine were not narrow enough to reach the jack.

I also could not find a cheap hand mic to buy and salvage the cable.

A baofeng cable DOES NOT have the right pitch or at least the one I got has a slightly bigger space between plugs.

While building the prototype cable I salvaged the cord from this fella:

Build info can be found here:

1 Like

I was about to buy one but remembered that I tried this before, these dont go all the way in the ID-52 sp/mic jack.

Looking at speaker/mics specifically claiming ID-52 compatibility (HM-186LS), it appears that they have a wider notch with some o-ring for waterproofing:

These are pretty spendy, so I’d still go with the cheap one and give the molding a boxcutter treatment if it doesn’t cooperate.

1 Like

I managed to make the cable, it works fine with the ID-52. Tested with Soundmodem. I used 4.9K resistor.

1 Like

Did you use cable with waterproof connector or a cheaper one?
Did you have to modify the molding?

I used two separate 2.5 and 3.5 plugs, yes I had to cut/trip both, if it helps you I can do some measurements tonight.

1 Like

Yes, somebody else following the same process will find this useful.

Here is my homemade test cable for ID-52 HT. I did not want to destroy my ICOM OPC-2144 adaptor so I ordered pigtails and a TRRS with a breakout. Works great! Now I will solder things together and clean it up.

Chris

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Chris. Looking forward to seeing the final build.

Testing a similar cable with Audio & CI-V.
For the ID-31Plus.
OK - PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE CS-31PLUS
OK - HAM RADIO DELUXE

1 Like

Good post!

Does the CAT control work well? What are your experiences with it?

Chris

1 Like

Still testing, but it seems to work. :grinning:
【CI-V】無線の遠隔操作 【ID-31/ID-51/IC-R6】 - YouTube shows it working.

DIGIRIG and Ham Radio Deluxe works.

Need to test WSJT-X, VARA-fm, and Winlink.

A modified hand speaker/mic/digirig combo with PPT & PTL(push to listen) be nice to have for testing. Allowing for directed nets and monitoring signals received. Or just A/B switcher SPEAKER MIC / DIGIRIG might work.

Off topic: Does anyone monitor their DIGIRIG audio on the PC speakers?

Kevin JJ1PJI

2 Likes