Just want to verify that it’s time for the knife…

This is my first post - just received my Digirig yesterday.

I have an IC-756ProIII that I bought used recently. It came with a Signalink which worked but marginally. I decided to try the Digirig with the integrated CI-V support.

I hooked everything up, and can see the USB serial device fine as well as the PNP sound card on my MacBook Pro. WSJT-X works OK except the incoming audio is hot - I used to get a received signal of ~70db with the Signalink receive dial set to about halfway. With the Digirig, my received signal is at ~87db, and adjusting the sound input on the Mac won’t do much - except that muting it does drop the signal to zero. I do receive and decode some FT8; radio control works flawlessly. But i can’t find any soft way to reduce the audio to an acceptable level.

I assume it’s time to activate the internal Digirig attenuation with an Exacto knife, but don’t want to take a knife to a brand new device without verification that I’m doing the right thing.

-W1AQP

I think @K0TX will comment on this. I do not want your question to go unanswered. If you decide you do not want the attenuation, a solder bridge can reverse what you have done.

73 Constrainted

1 Like

On Windows I would first suggest making sure that AGC is disabled in settings. On Mac the driver may not have this feature available and in such case activating the attenuator would be the next step. As Constrainted pointed out this is something you can reverse if needed.

No AGC feature on my Mac, so I activated the attenuator on the board. Quick testing shows my receive signal down to about 70db and in the green on WSJT-X. I’ll test in earnest tomorrow using FT8, but things look good right now.

Thank you both!

W1AQP

3 Likes

@Bigbit Thanks for the good news! Good luck with WSJT-X tomorrow.

73 Constrainted

1 Like

I needed to do this for an FT-1500 FM rig I’m using. Easy operation, easily backed out. Even this software engineer was able to do it. (Yes, I had to ask permission to use something sharp…)

1 Like

Thanks for the chuckle, John.

I was able to use FT8 very nicely on 10m yesterday. Very happy with my new DigiRig and my new-to-me IC-756 Pro III. Here’s my log from yesterday.

73!

3 Likes

Thanks for coming back with the good news!

73 Constrainted

2 Likes

Congrats!
Ha, that E. Kiribati station is all over the bands. I got him on 17m.

3 Likes

AND YOU WERE GIVEN PERMISSION? Oh noes… :wink:

1 Like