Kenwood TS-450S "Test Cat" errors in WSJT-X

Cal,
Thanks again for taking the time.
I have checked ports and everything else suggested by Digirig many, many times.
Alan

1 Like

Well, let me know if you’d like to try it with a Live MX-Linux boot, Alan. I can post an image file on a fileshare somewhere.

Cal

1 Like

Hi Alan,
You said you purchased the Digirig RS-232. I believe you need the Logic Level model.

RS-232 uses +or- 12v while TTL uses 0 to +5v. The old Kenwood IF232 box was for making that conversion. You mentioned in other posts that a 10 year old USB to serial converter was working for you. I’ve used a few of those as well with good results. They also convert 232 to TTL.

I just joined the forum and have ordered a Logic Level model and cables to use with my TS-690S. When I get things set up I’ll report back.

Jim,
Thanks for the information!
I hope you are right. Yes please let us all know what you find.
I ordered exactly what is listed on the Digirig site but also called in to confirm I was ordering the correct stuff.
Alan

How to do the loopback test for CI-V serial cable? It has only one line for both rx/tx.

thx

CI-V is looped back internally inside Digirig. It will echo the characters even without the cable connected. This will test that the port works, but you’ll need to ring the cable with the continuity tester if you want to check it too.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Kenwood TS-450S "Test Cat" errors in WSJT-X:

Hi Alan, sorry it took me a while to get back. I had to order the Kwd 450 cables.
To start with I was wrong about needing the logic level unit. The good folks at DigiRig being much smarter than me, sent me the proper 232 unit. I just this evening got things connected and settings sorted out.

Here are the settings that are working for me.
Port 16, yours of course will vary.
Baud rate: 4800
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Handshake: None
PTT Method: CAT
Mode: USB
Split operation: None.

When I change either the Handshake or the PTT settings from this I get the same message you were talking about.

Hope this helps.
Jim
kb9rlt

1 Like

Wow, I just noticed the picture is wrong.

Handshake is NONE and PTT should be CAT

sorry, not sure how that happened.

1 Like

Thanks Jim. I will try those settings as soon as I can.
Alan

Any luck?

(additional letters as required)