Looking for DigiRig Lite / DigiRig VOX PTT testers on iOS

I’ve completed the implementation of an AFSK 1200 modem in RadioMail, the Winlink email application for iOS. It allows you to connect to packet Winlink gateway from an iPhone or iPad using only the DigiRig Lite on iPhone 15 or the DigiRig VOX on older iPhones with a lightning to audio 3.5 mm adapter.

I’m now looking for a few beta testers to help test in real conditions. If you’re interested, please see if you qualify:

• Be comfortable using TestFlight and installing beta builds. Previous experience with RadioMail preferred.

• Have an iPhone 15 or iPad with USB-C and a DigiRig Lite, or a previous generation iPhone/iPad with a lightning to audio 3.5 mm adapter and the DigiRig VOX PTT cable.

• Have successfully made packet connections to nearby stations. This is important, as often the RF part fails, and I can’t spend time troubleshooting that.

• Be willing to upload audio recordings for troubleshooting if needed.

If you’re interested, please message me directly.

4 Likes

Let me know what you need. I have an iPad with lightning connector and a digirig lite.

1 Like

That combination is not ideal. To use the DigiRig Lite with a lightning device, you need a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple, which also require additional power to operate the DigiRig. It works, but that result in a tangle of cable mess.

For lightning device, a better solution is to use the native sound card from the device and use the DigiRig VOX PTT cable. You’ll still need a Lightning to 3.5 mm audio adapter, but that combination is much more straight forward and does not require external power.

4 Likes

I would be interested to help test. We spoke briefly on Twitter.

Note that I would be testing with the new BTECH APRS-PRO USB C cable, not a DigiRig (though I will purchase a DigiRig if the BTECH cable fails.

I’ve already purchased RadioMail – I’ve had it for about a year. My equipment includes:

• iPhone Pro 15 (and various iPads and older iPhones)
  • BTECH UV-50X2 as a base station with antenna on the roof
  • UV-PRO and BF-F8HP handsets
  • BTECH APRS-PRO USB-C cable
  • (will order the Digirig Lite if the above cable does not work)

I’m very familiar with TestFlight and have used it before (e.g., I helped test the Bambulab app and the Ivory Mastodon app).

I’ve made successful packet connections via APRS (both send and recv, using Direwolf on a Raspberry Pi and aprs.fi on the iPhone), and Winlink before, but the latter was more than a year ago and I’ve not tested since. There are many stations in my area (Puget Sound near Seattle), and I’m willing to drive to make it work.

I have an iPhone 15 Pro, RadioMail, DigiRig Lite and the cable to a Yaesu FT5.

I just got the DigiRig light so not done the packet connection yet via Radio Mail but happy to help.

John W9BLN

I have an iPhone 13 with a lightning connection and a new iPhone 15 with
usb-c. It’s been almost four weeks since you’ve announced a need for testers on the Digirig lite. I would be happy to help if you still need testers. I have used RadioMail for a while now, and Winlink for more than a year.
Scott Hart
N7YTF