Microsoft Surface Go 3 FT-891 and DIgirig

I am new to the forum and Digirig mobile. I wanted to get some opinions straight from the source. I am looking into purchasing a Microsoft Surface Go 3 as my primary digital radio device. I like to run WSJTX as well as Fldigi. Radio is an FT-891 and I just received my Digirig Mobile yesterday. Does anyone have experience with this set up? If so what are your thoughts on it? Obviously I am just trying to make an educated decision and am curious if these 3 will work nicely together. Kind of like the idea of the laptop in tablet form. Any feed back is appreciated.

Thanks
W3JTB Thomas

To my understanding Microsoft Surface Go is pretty much a windows computer so you should have no issues with the regular PC software. You can refer to these posts for more info on FT-891:

https://forum.digirig.net/tag/yaesu-ft-891

Thank you. Looking forward to getting it all up and running.

1 Like

Let us know how it works out!

73 Constrainted

Will do. I ordered the Surface Go 3 yesterday. Hopefully be here by end of the week for some good testing over the weekend. I connected my digirig to my existing laptop last night and it seems like it will work great right out of the box. Changed settings in WSJT-X. Maybe I will get an opportunity to set up my antenna and radio this afternoon to do some testing on my laptop. I believe the surface, digirig, and 891 are going to be a good combination for POTA and portable ops in general

2 Likes

Awesome! Good luck this weekend!

73 Constrainted

I run Surface Pro8/9s with Digirigs and a variety of radios. The closest I have to an 891 is an 857, which works great. Others have used Go 3s without issue.

Matt

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Go 3 and am waiting on it to arrive. I will update once it arrives.

Great job with those Surface Pros. Do they have good battery life?

73 Constrainted

Entirely depends on usage. I regularly get 8 hours of solid use and have stretched one to 16 by judicious rationing. HT batteries go long before it does. A 10w solar panel keeps up with the Surface and a 20w will keep the entire thing happy.

1 Like

I use a Digirig with an FT-891 and a Dell XPS13 laptop. The Dell only has USB C ports so i have to use a hub. The Digirig can’t do CAT control with the FT-891 as is possible with other radios. If you want CAT control you must use a separate USB-A to USB-B cable. That said, the combination works great with any digital mode you throw at it. I have done FT8, Winlink, SSTV, and more. One thing to keep in mind is to get your antenna a good distance from your computer, or use lower power. I have a 50 ft coax lead and run 100 watts no problem.

Have fun!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting your success and your important point about keeping the antenna distant from the audio processing chain.

73 Constrainted

Update

Got my Surface Go 3 and finally found the time to get everything running. It was easy and works great. Step 1 install proper drivers Step 2 configure setting in Fldigi and WSJT-X and works like a charm. No issues to speak of. Other notes. I really like the small easy portability of the Digirig and I should have got into it sooner. The FT-891 plays nicely with the Digirig and Microsoft Surface. The set up overall is a small footprint as compared to my previous set up. Now to pair this all up with a good solar panel and a Bioenno and that would take an already solid set up to the next level. Thanks everyone for the help through out my learning process with my new devices.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Thanks for following up on this thread with your approach.

73 Constrainted