[Project] Using a 20yr old Yaesu FT-2500M as a APRS digipeater with the DigiRig

Yaesu FT-2400 & FT-2500M RJ45 mic plug to Mobilinkd or DigiRig 3.5 mm TRRS Plug

Some backstory to the project:
I have my first Amateur Radio, the Yaesu FT-2500M radio. Once I stepped up to the FT-100D I turned my 2500 into an APRS beacon only using the TinyTrak 3 kit and Garmin eTrex handheld GPS unit. I used it for years as a tracker until I changed vehicles and no longer used the FT-100 mobile so, the 2500 went into storage I guess around a decade. My new mobile the AnyTone 578 does APRS beaconing.

Now, I want to bring APRS to my city that is cut off from the main area digipeaters by a sizable mountain to our north.

Doing some research on various sound cards I chose the DigiRig as my go to.

My first project was setting up an iGate/Digi with the hand held FT-25 and a Raspberry Pi 3B+. it was a great success to use around the house with my FT-5DR and finally do some APRS messaging, something I never really did with APRS the whole time it’s been around.

So, that brings me to my new project of setting up a wider range digipeater for the area.
Going back with the reliable DigiRig! I found a 2500M cable from Ham Made Parts and this time due to stock issues with almost all Pi models I found a Pi 3 A+ and used it and along with some guides i found online for setting up direwolf I was able to successfully get APRS digipeater working with the 20yr old 2500M.
Now, I’ve got to find a site and get it on the air!!
Picture and cable link posted with this post. Fun project all around!

2 Likes