Receive audio way too hot on FTM-310D

Has anyone gotten Digirig Mobile (using Digirig Mobile MiniDin10 Audio+CAT Cable for FTM) working with the FTM-310D? For me, PTT works but the receive audio is way too hot (even on the lowest Windows 11 mic gain setting). I don’t see any settings to control audio output level on the data port of the FTM-310D. Can the Digirig Mobile really handle the output of the FTM-310D?

73, Mike KK7ER

FYI, I made a little progress. I dug deep into the Windows settings and found that Microsoft had seen fit to restore AGC during the most recent forced update. After disabling AGC, the level came down a bit (still mostly in the red zone). I was able to send one Winlink message in two tries. I suppose getting the receive level into the green zone would make it more reliable. But I still don’t see a way to do it. Maybe the next thing to try is to put an attenuator inline with the Digirig cable. That would be a bummer since I didn’t pay all that money for their cable to have to hack it to make it work.

The digirig mobile has a 20db attenuator trace you can cut if you really need it.

Good luck
:slight_smile:
kb0wlf

Interesting. Please say more. Is the schematic and board layout available somewhere?

73, Mike KK7ER

scroll down this ‘page’ to just below the explanations of different CAT/C-IV/remote control configurations:

when you locate the attenuator ‘pads’, just note that the existing trace IS there, just masked.
:slight_smile:
good luck
kb0wlf

Thank you!!! This is great information. Unfortunately, I need to use this Digirig Mobile with a couple different rigs. So maybe an outboard attenuator cable is a better solution for me.

73, Mike KK7ER

I’m having the same issue on my FTM-150. My audio on VARA is pegged in the red. Curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this?

:slight_smile:
cut the trace, solder leads on the pads running to a tiny switch installed in the housing
:wink:

kb0wlf

Interesting idea. I suppose I’ll have to open it up to see how much room is in there. And I don’t have any fancy cutting tools so would need a switch that fits in a round hole. Thanks.

73, Mike KK7ER

i hear ya.
you won’t find me attempting it.
i was just stirring the pot.
:slight_smile:
kb0wlf

Hi, I have that same cable (1200 baud audio + PTT cable with Yaesu 10 pin MiniDin connector) for the Yaesu FTM-310, but in my case the PTT never is actuated in the radio. I set PTT on RTS pin option on COM6 (that is my current configuration). Tested in Digirig Mobile. The digirig seems to be working, I tested and works with other cable-radio.

Following the Youtube video for PTT testing using wsjt, I am measuring 1Mohm in all cases, it does not matter if PTT is pressed or not.

Thank you

I did the test for the radio counterpart. Doing a short between S and R2 does not put the radio to TX. I proceed to removed the cable and just measured the cable resistance between Digirig audio port and the MiniDin10 port:

S to Pin2 = 1 ohm

R2 to Pin3 = 0.7Mohm

R1 to Pin1 = 0.7 Mohm

T to Pin5 = 0.7 Mohm

I am wondering if the cable I received could belong to a different product, next the cable pinout I was able to identify measuring one by one

T goes to 6 on Minidin10

R1 goes to 3 on Minidin10

R2 goes to 1 on Minidin10

S goes to 2 on Minidin10

You’ll need to mirror the view on MiniDin10 connector if you are testing from the pins side. The schematic is given for the solder side.

Thank you K0TX, my “mirrored” point of view make me think everything was wrong. Also the radio was not keying up due to the Main band was active and the Data config was pointing to the not active sub- band. Now everything is working perfectly. Thank you!!