Retevis RA89 Cable

Greetings,

After hunting around, I believe the RA89 uses the same cable as the Baofeng radios.

Is this true?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Fred

I do not own this radio, but I wanted you to get a quick response.

Do you have the pinouts and connector style for the Retevis RA89B radio?

73 Constrainted

So yes, the spec on the Retevis page for the waterproof version of this radio shows Kenwood K1 connector:

73 Constrainted

The standard Kenwood cable (HT) works with the Retevis RA89.

I do not have the Retevis RA89 pinouts, however, based on the comments and a simple search for Kenwood wiring, I found this:
https://www.wildtalk.com/knowledge-base/kenwood-2-pin-wiring-data/

Based on the comments, this product works for audio/PTT on this radio (I have not verified this myself, yet).
https://digirig.net/product/baofeng-cords-kit-for-digirig-mobile/

The Retevis RA89 is not listed yet, so a search will not find it.

I do not know if the programming cable works. I have the Retevis cable that came with the radio so I have not tried it.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Fred

@N7FMH Yes, the Kenwood style 2-pin microphones that Retevis sells are listed as compatible with Baofeng UV-5R and Retevis RA89. No question about audio and PTT. Programming is another matter.

73 Constrainted

It sounds like you have a Retevis programming cable. Do you have a multimeter to check the connections to make a table of TRS, TRS, TRRS (or USB) assignments?

73 Constrainted

My goal is to repurpose a DigiRig and audio cable from a Baofeng to the Retevis RA89. This is why I was asking.

For programming, I will use the Retevis programming cable. To be honest, I had not considered the programming cable at all, nor will I explore it…

So, my last comment was for anyone searching this forum for this radio, they might stumble upon this thread and have a ready answer.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Fred

I just received an RA89. They included a programming cable, but it doesn’t fit. The typical UV5r programming cable does not fit the radio. The bottom pin is much larger diameter that the standard K cable. I reached out to Retevis, but haven’t received a response yet.

Ugh! Will Retevis accept a return? The return policy may be on the receipt.

73 Constrainted

The programming cable requires a hard press to connect. More pressure than originally imagined!

I had the same issue until I discovered that.

Best regards,
Fred

Thanks, the hole looked extra large, but a firm press got it seated. I didn’t want to damage a new radio, so I wasn’t pushing hard enough.

David Hicks (256) 565-4020 hicksdp@live.com

OK. That’s a relief! I have had the same issue with the Baofeng requiring a much harder push than seems reasonable to seat the K connector.

73 Constrainted

That was my fear as well.

Fred N7FMH

1 Like