RF gain as low as possible on lab599

I purchased the digirig about year ago for use with both the lab599 tx-500 and a yaesu 857d. I asked that it be configured with the 3.3V option. When using with lab 599 I find that I have to turn the RF Gain as low as possible (-51) in order to make wsjtx etc usable. Is this expected? I have included a picture of the board (rev 1.7)

What happens with RF gain at the regular level?
Is incoming audio level too high? Did you exhaust the level adjustment range in the Control Panel?

adjusting the incoming levels did not seem to change the behavior but will try again with that. When receiving ft8 signals and the rf level is at -51 it is reading roughly 68 - 71 db and the floor is about 50db. Adjusting the rf gain to -25 and db gain goes to 81db and a floor of 60dB. I just went and checked the levels for the digirig device in windows and they are set to 80. This is for both playback and recording.

I moved off of the FT8 frequency to get just the noise floor and did some testing:

• mic level in digirig properties at 80 with rf-gain at -51, 44 dB
  • mic level in digirig properties at 40 with rf-gain at -51, 34 dB
  • mic level in digirig properties at 0 with rf-gain at -51, 29 dB
  • mic level in digirig properties at 0 with rf-gain at 80, 77 dB
  • mic level in digirig properties at 0 with rf-gain at 40, 66 dB
  • mic level in digirig properties at 0 with rf-gain at 0, 61 dB

I feel like I am missing a setting on the radio or something. I have the mode set to Digital and not USB, preamp and attenuator are off, besides that I am unsure where to look next. I can run the rig with the attenuator on or the levels set super low. Just curious if other folks have encountered this with the lab 599.

Thanks,
Chris
KF5DPX

Is AGC checked in custom tab of recording device? It should be off.

I am finally getting back around to this and can confirm that the AGC is not checked. I have backed off the mic level and increased the RF gain and it does not seem to be peaking over 75 dB anymore. I currently have the mic level at 50 and digitsl RF gain at the radio set to 0. Thanks for the work that you do!

Chris
KF5DPX

1 Like