RX audio still to high - DR v1.9 - jumper cut

I purchased a v1.9 last October. I had this problem initially and put it on the shelf for a while. I’ve cut the RX Audio Attenuator jumper but the level is still way too high with the PC level at 1.

Icom 703
W-10

Don
W6CZ

That sounds frustrating. Is AGC unset in Windows 11 sound settings?

73 Constrainted

Yes. Here it is in one shot. Actually the level is 0, AGC is off, yet the level in WSJT-X is +65. Windows 10, btw.

OK. I have not used Windows 10 in a long time. Is the microphone you are showing here the Digirig USB microphone? It looks like it might be the system microphone.

I remember I had trouble with AGC until I used mmsys.cpl in the command prompt to set the value.

73 Constrainted

Yes - it is the DR and not the system mic.

You seem to be an excellent troubleshooter, so I am not sure what I can add. Maybe try one last time to check continuity on the pads for setting the attenuator:

Digirig Mobile Rev 1.9 – digirig

If they are correct, perhaps contact Denis @K0TX .

73 Constrainted

Can we see the screenshots of the “General” and “Levels” tabs for the same recording device?

Everything checks out as far as I can tell.
You can check “listen” box under “Listen” tab and then use the level/sensitivity slider to see if it has any effect on the level of the received audio.

I can see the level change in both WSJT X and Vara HF. I had this issue with 2 v1.6(?) Digirig with IC 706/703 so I ordered a v1.9 last fall. I had this issue but something came up so it went on the shelf until now.

It’s baffling in that there doesn’t appear to be a difference between 1.6 and 1.9 with the jumper cut. Could the attenuator be shorted?

I’ll try it with a different device like a Rpi.

Don
W6CZ

You can check the resistance between the pads. If it’s zero then they’re still connected and you’ll need to cut some more.

Here’s the relevant fragment of the schematic:

I don’t have an Icom 703, but my friend has several icoms. did you look in the radio menu to find the output level from the rig? That would be a good thing to check, i bet you could lower the level there, and that would help solve the issue
Jim KG2H

I don’t believe Icom radios have adjustable levels via the ACC jack.

It appears there was a small flash of solder across the pads.

But it’s still hotter than I’d like - with the level still at 0, the level in WSJT-X is 40db with no antenna connected.

Does the audio level indicator drop to near zero when you disconnect the audio cable?

Yes. Here are 3 screen captures. When you asked this I anticipated where you were headed and connected via the USB Isolator that I purchased with my first DR (I keep finding them, I must have at least 4). That essentially made no difference. Here are 3 screen shots. The lowest level is with the cable unplugged from the DR. The next is plugged into the DR but not the 706. Third is into the 706. This is inti the 6 pin mini DIN - DR made cables. I saw approximately the same with my 703 connected to the 13 pin.

We can try 13 pin connector with IC-706 if you haven’t already done so.
Also do you happen to have another computer to try for the sake of troubleshooting? Preferably with a different version of OS. I think by now we’ve tried swapping everything else.

Different radio - 703 (same interface spec as 706)
Different cables - 13 pin DIN
Different device - Raspberry Pi4

Behaves as expected. Full range of level control.

Different W10 PC
Same issue as previously reported with first W10 PC. Essentially exactly the same.

Same results with 706 in place of 703 in all cases.

So sounds like this is a Windows specific issue? We can leave the hardware alone then and see what makes your Windows systems ignore the settings. Do you run or have pre-installed any third party software related to voice calls?

Of course. Who doesn’t? Skype, Zoom and probably 3 or others.

It’s not going to be an app, but rather some background utility related to audio. I can’t find it right now among all the communication, but I remember one of the operators narrowing similar issue down to a software trying to “improve” the audio quality from the “microphones” connected to the computer.