USB Device Malfunctioned

I have a brand new Digirig and brand new K1 cables. Tried on the Baofeng UV-82HP and Anytone 878. The Digirig is detected and everything seems okay to begin with. After about the second or third TX the PTT gets stuck open. After 30-60 seconds or so, Windows makes the USB removal sound and then displays “the last USB device connected to this computer has malfunctioned”. Afterward, the Digirig no longer appears under COM ports and instead shows “device descriptor request failed” under general USB devices.

Please refer to “sticky PTT” section of the troubleshooting guide.

1 Like

Ruling out the other options, RFI seemed to be the suggested problem. I slapped a couple snap on ferrites on the USB cable, but this did not fix the issue with the UV-82. Next, I tried a UV-5R as it was the closest radio I had to the one that wasn’t working. This one did work, but I hadn’t tried it before adding the ferrites. There were two other HTs I had tried previously without success. I will try them again with the ferrites and see if there is any difference. I’m also curious what happens if I add a counterpoise to the HT antenna or if I connect it to an external antenna. I’ll report back with results, but for the moment the ferrites seem to have helped get it working on at least one HT.

1 Like