VARA FM: Auto Tune needs more audio (Drive Level +0dB)

Currently running a V1.,9 Digirig and when I originally set it up, the sound levels were pretty high. I had to cut the ATT pad in order to get the sound levels into the ‘approved’ sound levels for VARA FM.

Lately, I’ve noticed in VARA FM, if I run the Auto Tune, the results are indicating I need to increase the audio slider up for more audio (the returned Drive Level is +0dB). However, I have the audio level up all the way to 100 already.

Is there anything I can do other than to place a drop of solder back across the ATT pads?

1 Like

There may be multiple level options chained up: in system mixer, in software, in radio. Make sure you exhaust all the software/configuration options before resorting to hardware modifications.

2 Likes

I am seeing this same issue from VARA FM thru my FT847 using the 6-pin MINI DIN connection.
What I am also confused about is that under Playback and picking the right soundcard output to the radio, shows two levels. 1 for Speaker which I would expect, but also one for Microphone which I would not expect.
Not sure if that image has really been uploaded.

The mic slider in playback device is some driver’s quirk. It doesn’t belong there and to my understanding doesn’t play any role in the sensitivity of Digirig’s recording device.

1 Like

@flashover52 and @VA3MCT In my experience with Vara FM for Winlink, it is important to have the input audio within the Green region of the VU meter, as you have done.

I have had the same experience you describe with Autotune.

Although AutoTune is a great tool with a lot of intelligence, in my experience, even “Unapproved” stations can frequently be contacted and messaged. Sometimes, Vara FM’s advice to increase audio setting beyond the maximum, as you have experienced is wrong. If you, the operator, can hear the Vara FM modem response from the distant station at a normal or quiet level, the connection has a good chance of succeeding.

Of course, AGC must always be off, and squelch must be off for best chance of success. The more you work with Vara FM the more you will appreciate its’ ability in noisy and weak signal situations.

73 Constrainted