What version digirig did I buy from Amazon

I probably shouldn’t have purchased the Digirig from Amazon, however, I did realize that I needed Elecraft KX cables from the Digirig site which I have arriving on Thursday.

I don’t think I had an option to choose from the different rigs. How do I identify what my rig is setup for? I’ll be using an Elecraft KX-2.

Yet another question. Eventually I’d like to use this on my HT and then on the Lab599 TX-500. Would I have to cut existing connections to make it work with the Lab599 or is it better to have a dedicated one for each different type radio?

What do folks use to bridge the connections? A blob of solder or a very short piece of wire?

Thanks,

Mitch/KN4ONH

On Amazon I only list Digirig in the default config (logic levels) and only the cables that work with that configuration. For CAT functionality with Elecraft KX you’ll need Digirig in RS-232 configuration. You can change the configuration at home, this involves cutting existing traces and bridging the pads with the solder blobs. More info here:

You can easily modify logic levels configuration to TX-500 (just one solder bridge, no cutting). With your HT you can use Digirig in any configuration.

If you plan to use both QRP radios with CAT control, I’d go with separate Digirigs in different configurations clearly labeled. You can share the same Digirig between the two if you use CAT with one radio, but not the other.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll go ahead and purchase a pair of KX enabled rigs and cables for the TX-500.

Thanks for replying.

1 Like

I’m posting this for others like me who didn’t see the tiny strips across the RS232 and CMOS pads. I looked under a magnifying glass and saw the strips that need to be severed for the RS232 support for my Elecraft KX-2. Of course the instructions also said this but my lying eyes didn’t see the strip.

Thanks again

I’m a bit in the same boat. I bought the digirig from amazon and have also ordered a few cables for a couple rigs. One set for Baofeng and one set with the Mini Din 10 plug for my Yaesu FTM6000. I’ve been reading and reading and reading but am still having trouble completely understanding things. Like you Mitch I did open up the digirig to see how my Amazon one was configured. It looked like none of the solder pads were connected and even after putting it under a magnifying glass I honestly still can’t tell if they are connected. I did use my multi meter in continuity mode and it told me the pads are connected. I just hope that means they are truly connected in the way they should and not through some other circuity on the opposite side of the board. I’m hoping to find a local Elmer to hold my hand and walk me through some of this digital stuff.

Chris,
Digirig sold on Amazon are in default configuration (logic levels) with pre-existing connections in place. The reason you don’t see the traces connecting the pads is because they are covered by the solder mask - black paint protecting areas of PCB that are not to be touched by solder.

1 Like

I appreciate the reply. I’m still reading and learning and it appears in some situations one would go in and cut those connections. In such a case one would use perhaps a sharp scratch awl or similar to scrape the connection(s) between the pads? Can you comment on CAD control of the FTM6000 with the mini din 10 connection and the digirig mods needed? I did already purchase the cable with the 10 min on one end and the green/black TRRS. I’m not 100% clear as to what type of CAD control this rig would allow. I’ve also read conflicting statements about this rig even having that ability.

Thank you.

Chris,

all I can seem somewhat intelligent about is how my setup works, and it does work. I have a KX2 with the digirig.

Attached is a picture of what I did after Denis guided me in the right direction. This is for CAT control of my KX2. I soldered the three pads as shown and using a hobby knife cut the invisible trace that is much better shown in the documentation. After I got all my settings in my Surface Go 2 correct I was up and running on winlink.

Mitch/KN4ONH

1 Like

Mitch,

I appreciate the reply. I need to do some more research for my particular situation. I’m pretty sure I need to change something but want to make 100% sure before I bust out the knife and soldering iron.

Chris/KE8WEI

Chris,
Digirig’s serial port configuration is only relevant to CAT control which is an optional convenience feature. If you are new to the digital modes setup you can start out with setting up audio+PTT per getting started guide and not worry about CAT until later. All that means is that initially you’ll have to manually set the transceiver to the frequency.

Confirmation required, but I believe FTM-6000 uses logic levels so when you are ready to experiment with CAT control, give it a try without making any modifications to your Digirig.