Windows 10 Not Seeing Digirig

Windows 10 is seeing Ports: Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge (com 8)

Windows 10 is not seeing Sound, Video and Game Controllers, USB PnP Sound Device.

I’ve tried 2 different USB cables.

I plan to use Digirig with FT-891 so I only need the audio to work with Digirig.

Before obtaining the Digirig I was successfully using SignaLink.

Any idea(s) why Windows 10 is not seeing the USB PnP Sound Device?

Thanks.

That’s frustrating. Maybe find a way to update the windows driver which handles CM108 audio devices. Maybe a general system update would do this. Maybe the C Media site can help:

USB Audio,USB audio chip,Voice command,Sound technology–C-Media Electronics, In (cmedia.com.tw)

73 Constrainted

Are there any entries in the device manager with the exclamation mark icon next to them?
Any error messages when connecting Digirig to computer?

Was able to get the DigiRig working in Windows 10.

Begin by taking a screenshot of the Device Manager with Ports expanded and Sound, video and game controllers expanded.

Connect the DigiRig. Since my xcvr is an FT-891, I only need to connect the PC’s USB to the DigiRig and connect the DigiRig Audio to the RTTY/Data rear port on the FT-891.

Reopen or refresh, if already open, Windows Device Manager. Note the 2 new items. Device Manager, Ports I am seeing Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM8). Device Manager, Sound, video and game controllers I am seeing USB Audio Device and NOT USB PnP Sound Device as was noted in the instructions.

Since I already had SignaLink working with my FT-891 I don’t believe I need to change any of the FT-891 menu settings. I therefore begin WSJT-X, clone my existing configuration to FT-891 DigiRig, switch to the new FT-891 DigiRig configuration, go into File-> Settings-> Audio. Set Input to Microphone (USB Audio Device) and Output to Speakers (USB Audio Device). Note that neither appear as DigiRig as noted in the instructions.

Save the WSJT-X changes.

I did need to turn down the received levels, using Windows, as the received dB in WSJT-X was in the red.

Also, in Windows, ensure the default sound input and output are NOT mistakenly set to the USB Audio Device (which in my case is DigiRig).

Making QSOs on January 30, 2024 beginning around 1522 UTC.

3 Likes

Congratulations! USB Audio Devices for the win!

73 Constrainted

Which probably means I could have gotten things working on Tuesday evening if I had known/realized the DigiRig was showing up differently that what I read in the instructions.

However, everything is now documented and I’ll know for future use in case, egad, I do a fresh Windows 11 install.

1 Like

Congrats on the successful setup. The alternative codec description is mentioned in the text of the instructions, but not shown in the picture. I’ll consider updating the picture or adding an additional one to avoid confusion.

This is the result of switch from CM108AH codec which is at the end of production to CM108B.

My fault/mistake for NOT thoroughly reading!

Idea to try fresh/take screenshots of the Device Manager and compare after plugging in the DigiRig came to me in my sleep. I know, I know… should NOT be thinking these things when asleep. However, some of my most cleaver software programming/development solutions have come to me this way.

1 Like

Been there. Sometimes it’s helpful to walk away from the project that is stuck to gain a fresh perspective.

Two of my 3 Windows 10 computers did not show the PORTS listed in Device manager. I had to make Device Manager put that in the list of features. After that I could see each device connected to each ports.

2 Likes