Windows 11 - DigiRig COM port not showing up

My new DigiRig 1.9 (for a TX-500) arrived today. When connected to Windows 11, only the two sound devices show up in device manager. No COM port.

I have all the latest drivers installed (CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver), but can’t get the COM port to appear (there are no devices listed under ‘Other devices’ in device manager list which you would normally get with a driver problem).

Does DigiRig need to be connected to the TX-500 for the COM port to show up? Still waiting for delivery of mine so can’t test.

Tried two Windows 11 machines and multiple USB cables.

1 Like

No, the COM port should detect as soon as you plug Digirig into USB.

It’s unlikely going to matter since the sound card is detected, but let’s try it on the different computer before we go ahead with arrangements for replacement.

1 Like

Hi, I have now tried on two Windows 11 machines and a Windows 10 machine. I only ever get the audio devices, no COM port.

1 Like

I have loaded this on two laptops. 1 win 11 ASUS the other win 10 DELL i7. Neither loaded the com drivers. I had to download them and manually load them. Then the com ports showed up. Audio drivers showed up on plugging in on both. systems

Alan WA1AR

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. My digirig works fine on the windows 10 machine but not on the windows 11 machine. I looked in the device manager and no port is listed for the digirig. On the windows 11 machine the receive is working fine but not able to transmit and it says rig control errror. It does not assign a COM port. Can you help?
Herb

I’m using Win 11 x64 on my desktop and the COM port does show up as soon as I plug in the digirig. It works with Direwolf software TNC triggering PTT. I was also able to trigger PTT with hterm terminal program when the “RTS” button is pushed.

I did not have to load a driver for the digirig. I plugged it in and it worked straight away.

1 Like

Just to let you know; I have had the unit replaced and all is working fine now.
Thanks for the help.
Neil.

I have a digirig that is operating perfectly fine using VARA FM and my FTM-400 vhf/uhf radio. The serial com port (com3) performs as its supposed to through the USB port on the Raspberry Pi 4. Plug the digirig with the cables into a USB port on a Windows 11 mimi-pc. Only the audio part of the digirig shows up. No COM port to use for PTT. Win11 swears i have the correct drivers. VARA HF and all my other HF digital apps are Connected through a signalink external modem and separate CAT cable. Any idea on getting Win 11 to recognise the com port?
Thanks
Kevin WA4KBM

Look for any entries in the device manager with the exclamation mark icon.
If you find one and it has CP2102 UART in the description then you need to install a driver.

I fixed the issue. I had been plugging the DigiRig into a USB extender. Direct in all worked fine. Also updated the drivers to fix the exclamation point. All working fine.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hello, I have something like the same issue. The Digirig works fine on one Windows 11 machine but not on another.

In device manager I see the Silicon Labs UARt on Com4 and in the sound cards I see the USB PnP Sound Device but in the System->Sound on Control panel the device does not show up.

On the other windows i11 machine I plug it in and see speakers and Microphone with USB PnP Sound device.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

I will answer my own question on how I fixed it. I re-installed Windows 11 and all the Devices in Device Manager including the Digirig showed up in the sound settings.

Tested with WinLink and all worked fine.

2 Likes

Congratulations, and thanks for letting the forum know what you did to succeed.

73 Constrainted

Digirig is working only with WSJT-X. It sees COM3 on my Win11 pc just fine. I have no exclamation points on the SiLabs driver. QSOs on FT8 with my Icom 706MKII work great.

Flrig, Fldigi and Varac see only COM1. They won’t see COM3, so none of the rig control options work. I have tried Fldigi, rigcat and Hamlib in Fldigi. I did a separate load of Hamlib for win64 and it didn’t help.

Fldigi used to work on Win XP with a Duinovox. I’m plugged directly into my mini pc (BMAX 4) with a short USB A to C cable. I’m using Digirig Icom cables.

Digirig shows up as a generic USB audio device. I’m out of ideas as to what to try next.

Bill N6DZS

If you see COM port in the device manager, but not in a specific software then the issue is with that software. In some software even though the dropdown is displayed for the COM port you are actually expected to type the value in. Give that a try.

OK, there is a lot going on here.

You want to run wsjt-x, fldigi, VarAC, am I right? wsjt-x is working, right? Congratulations! That is a big success! You can build on that.

You mention flrig and rigcat. Your radio is Icom IC-706MKII, right? Digirig works with wsjt-x and your radio, so the problem with other digital mode software is in the configuration, do you agree?

Which software configuration do you want to work on? You have to decide and then do a step-by-step approach to isolate and solve each issue in turn:

Troubleshooting Digital Modes – digirig

If something there is unclear, check back here and ask more questions.

Feel free to post configuration screens.

73 Constrainted

Hi,

I uninstalled flrig, fldigi and VarAC. I rebooted and reinstalled VarAC so that wsjt-x let go of COM3. Then I was able to select VarAC and get PTT to work for tuning.

Next, I reloaded fldigi. I discovered that it shows COM1 by default and you have to press “c” to get a list of the other COM ports to show up. I was able to get fldigi working using Hamlib to control the 706MKII.

The three programs have very different user interfaces! All of them appear to be working now. None of the challenges were related to digirig.

I would add a few screen captures but I don’t have an app for that on this computer yet. Time for me to chill for a while and watch more YouTube videos as there’s a lot more to learn about the various modes and programs.

Tnx & 73
Bill

2 Likes

Congratulations. You have made a lot of progress!

Enjoy the new modes!

73 Constrainted