Yaesu Ft-818ND and 9600 baud cable

I’m in the final stages of deciding to pull the trigger on a FT-818nd radio. I’m definitely going to want to add a digirig to it.

While looking at your cable offerings, I noticed that the standard 818 set comes with a 1200 baud cable, but there is a separate 9600 cable offered. The 818 isn’t specifically tagged in the 9600 baud cable, but the description says it works on all Yaesu’s except the 891.

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can clarify:

1. Does the 9600 cable (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood 9600 baud MiniDin6 audio cable for Digirig Mobile – digirig) in fact work with the FT-818ND?

2. Is it possible to use the 9600 baud cable for all services, including those that run at 1200 baud, and just let it connect at whatever speed it negotiates, or will I need to be swapping between the two cables depending on what digital mode/service I’m trying to use at the time?

3. Would it be possible to get a “Short” version of the combined cable that is both CAT control and the 9600 baud data? I’m looking at putting this in a “manpak” setup, so I don’t need a lot of extra cable bulk.

4. If no on 3, would it be possible to get a “short” version of the 9600 cable?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1. yes, 9600 baud cable works with FT-818ND
  2. yes, 1200 mode apps should handle wider bandwidth 9600 audio. To my understanding the only beneficiary of the wider bandwidth is winlink/vara supporting faster transfer speed in wide mode (paid license required, subject to band conditions, only noticeable on messages with large attachments).
  3. the short/combined versions are 1200 baud So far there wasn’t enough interest for 9600 variant so no plans for it at the time of writing.

Ok. Good to know.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Cheers,
N5PWJ