Yaesu FT-897 DigiRig Windows - Computer audio

Hi, I am running a Yaesu FT-897 with DigiRig using the Yaesu FT-8xx cables to attach to a Windows computer. The configuration works well with WSJT-X and WinLink/VARA HF. I adjusted the CAT Rate down to 9,600 so that I don’t need to change the speed when I change from Vara HF to WSJT-X and back. Everything is working as expected and I am reluctant to tweak any of the settings.

Is there a way that I can use the same computer and get computer audio either out of the computer speakers or headphones (Bluetooth or wired) for things such as YouTube? When I plug the DigiRig in, it takes over the audio for all functions and I go down a WSJT-X FT8 rabbit hole for several hours. There was no warning on the WSJT-X site that the contents could be habit-forming.

Second question, the DigiRig FT-8XX cables occupy both the CAT and Data ports on my FT-897. I have an LDG AT-897 antenna tuner. But it requires both ports. Is there a way the antenna tuner and the DigiRig could share those ports and not cause any conflicts? I am not the technically competent or adventurous type to make my own cables.

73, Doug/KI4VDU

Doug,
Re. Digirig taking over audio: Please make sure to move the default audio device assignments from Digirig to your computer’s regular speaker and mic. This is discussed in setup instructions and demonstrated in this video:

Re. serial port: If your tuner is equipped with the pass-through port, you can connect Digirig to that instead of the radio, you can try Y-splitter which may or may not work or you can use Digirig without optional serial CAT control.

2 Likes

Denis,

Thank you for the quick reply as always!!! The default audio fix in the video worked. I now have computer audio. Most importantly, the DigiRIg still functions normally.

I cannot believe I have been working without computer audio for weeks or months for such an easy fix. I was really afraid to change settings and break the delicate balance once everything was working perfectly.

As for the antenna tuner. I stole this picture from the user manual. It looks like it has a CAT pass-through. I incorrectly assumed one port was for data and one for CAT (like the DigiRig). I will have to give that a try. My current OCF Dipole is resonant on most of the bands I want to use (7 I think). Occasionally, I want to attempt to use the other bands, though.

THANK YOU!!!

73, Doug/KI4VDU

1 Like

i don’t want to muddy the waters but i would look at the tuner’s manual and see if it has a fixed CAT serial speed.

i used an ldg brand with an 817 and the tuner ONLY used 38400 serial speed.

if so, you’ll need to change everything in your ‘chain’ to match the tuner’s CAT serial speed.

:slight_smile:
kb0wlf

1 Like

Webmonkey,

Thank you for that feedback. I don’t see where the AT-897 requires a 38,400 CAT speed. That gives me something to look for if things do not work properly.

I think I found the lowest common denominator at 9,600 where the DigiRig and Vara HF work without changing settings.

Thanks, Doug/KI4VDU

1 Like

absolutely.
keep what works :slight_smile:

my digirig is paired with a xiegu x5105 and a g90 now.
both of those rigs require 19200 for C-IV control (icom’s version of CAT)

running ft8 from the smartphone as well as vara hf/fm and wsjt-x modes (when i take the laptop along)

kb0wlf

1 Like

Webmonkey,

Now that I have my default Windows audio set (DigiRig not taking over audio) I can click your link and see and HEAR your YouTube. You got a subscribe from me.

I have one DigiRig (RS-232) connected to my Kenwood TM-D700 for WinLink Packet VHF. I have the other DigiRig (Logic Levels/mobile) connected to my Yaesu FT-897 for WSJT-X / WinLink Vara HF. I only plug one USB into my computer at a time. They each have their own COM port so they do not cause any conflicts or require any configuration changes.

How are you doing FT8 on a smartphone with DigiRig? I have WSJT-X monitor on my Android tablet and phone. But, it requires a different UDP port than GridTracker so I ended up not using it. It would be nice to not be tethered to the physical radio all of the time.

73, Doug/KI4VDU

Thanks!
yes, ‘static’ assignments of audio devices is extremely helpful.

on my qrz.com bio, my ‘big’ pc runs my hf rigs and does video editing duties.
so ham radio goes to usb sound, browser/editors go to mobo audio.
reruns of quincy go to the hdmi audio of the 4th monitor.

anyway, on android you have two software options:
ft8radio
ft8cn
either will get the job done

ft8cn is a little ‘slicker’ and is what i use now.

for hooking up to the radio, a digirig mobile is sweet.
you get audio + ptt + remote control (both apps will change your frequency to the desired band of operation)

i’ve also done well with just using the spk/mic jack of the phone for audio and using the C-IV (cat) cable that came with the xiegu radios for PTT and remote control.

it is a bit harder to ‘tap’ the ft8 screen on a smaller device but it makes for a very compact ft8 ‘kit’ in the field.

kb0wlf

Webmonkey,

I used to watch Quincy back in the day.

Will my existing DigiRig work with Android or is there a special one for tablets? Mine both say DigiRig mobile but I chose RS-232 for one and Logic Levels for the other. I have an Android phone Samsung and an Android Active 3 tablet. I could see where offloading the FT8 to the tablet and using the computer for other things would be useful.

After some encouragement from this community, I ran into an unexpected challenge hooking up the antenna tuner. I was so reluctant to disrupt the existing functional configuration. I chose the combo cable for the FT-897 and the CAT cable does not reach the CAT out port of the AT-897. Instead of being less than an inch away from the data port the CAT out port is almost 6 inches away. I think I will need to buy the FT-8XX kit with separate cables.

the digirig mobile will ‘show up’ just fine on a capable android phone or tablet.

capable being probably anything in actual use now.
has to have support for usb audio and usb serial.
my galaxy s7 active has a micro usb port and i use an OTG (on the go) cable to connect the digirig mobile (mine is logic levels for xiegu).

the xyl has a galaxy s8 and it has a usb c, so it needs no ‘adapter’ to hook up the digirig.

now, unless you’re going portable, the pc running wsjt-x is MUCH easier to navigate.
:wink:

as for the 897 rig itself, i can’t be of much help there other than to say;
i’ve had many cords coming up short for my desired installation.
:slight_smile:
kb0wlf