Yaesu857D Digrig APRS on Vhf

will digrig do aprs on a yaesu 857d

Probably. I’m building a Go-Box with an FT-857 and a Windows mini PC and a DigiRig as the interface. Flrig and WSJT work fine, so I have CAT control, PTT, and 2-way audio. Only config on the DigiRig was setting data rates in WIndows Device Manager and in the FT857 menus. Testing direwolf + YAAC, currently RX only (working FB), 2-way when I have time to config
PTT in direwolf. I will also set up the PC and YAAC to work with a TH-D72A HT so I can run APRS on the HT and other modes on the 857 at the same time. Good luck! 73 de KS1G

1 Like

TL;DR: Yes, you can do APRS RX and TX on an FT857 with a DigiRig interface.

Now working both TX and RX with proper PTT. FT857, DigiRig, YAAC and Dire Wolf software TNC on Windows 11. The DigiRig interface appears as COM3 and audio as “USB Pnp Sound Device” (which I renamed in sound settings as “DigiRig TX Audio” and “DigiRig RX Audio”.

For APRS RX, YAAC is configured to use a KISS TNC listening on localhost:8001 (Direwolf default). Select Transmit: “Enabled” for 2-way (beacons, digipeating, eetc.). I enabled the APRSIS gateway for received packets only.

The trick was getting PTT working in Dire Wolf. By trial and error, I found that the line “PTT COM3 RTS” in direwolf.config works. Not what I expected from the documentation or what works with Flrig.

If you plan to use Linux as your host system [aside: I am using Win 11 because of other apps that (sigh) are not available on Linux; I expect FT857-DigiRig-Dire Wolf-YAAC on Linux works fine], several other PTT approaches are available. Good luck & 73.

1 Like

I don’t have any ideal what yaar is and I’m not failure with dire wolf the only thing I’m using is the dig rig and my yaesu 857d

To use the FT857 on APRS, you need a hardware or software-based modem and TNC, and possibly APRS client software (depending on what you want to do). The DigiRig is simply the hardware interface between the radio and your computer.

Dire Wolf is a software-based modem and TNC that supports 1200 baud APRS and a bunch of other modes. YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client) is a well-supported (active development by the author) Java-based APRS client. Both are multi-platform (Windows, x86 Linux, Raspberry Pi). Dire Wolf does some APRS functions (ex: I-gate packets you receive into the Internet network, receive-only so you do not want or need PTT configured). It also exposes ports allowing other client programs (YAAC in my case) to use Dire Wolf as an AGWPE (older software modem standard) or KISS TNC (what I am using). If you want to go this route, I’d install Dire Wolf first working RX-only, add YAAC RX-only, and proceed from there.

There are other software modems and client software, but this is what works for me. 73

maybe there’s some confusion here i want to use the digrig to operate APRS on HF using a Yaesu 857D is it possible to if so what software I need to get
AA5AF

You’ll need APRS client software and software packet modem. The choices will depend on the computing platform you use.

I came across below doc by googling “aprs hf”, It covers some of the basics as well as available software options. The sound card interface referred in the doc is a different product, but most of the principles apply to Digirig.

Dire Wolf supports 300 baud HF, so you could use that as your software modem + TNC. Pretty much any O/S - it will run on Windows, x86 Linux distros, Raspberry Pi, and Macs. 73

well Dennis if I understood dire wolf i would run it but i don’t have any ideal on how to use it