Android Software

ok, I want to use my Android Phone connected to FT3D. Is there an application like flmsg which will support the uart drivers for RTS? Or basically have to use VOX ?

Android devices perfectly suitable for the portable operations thanks to their small size, weight and long battery life. Digirig exposes a standard playback and recording devices recognized by Android and together with radio’s VOX feature it can be used with any app.

There is a growing list of amateur radio apps with the support of better PTT by RTS method offered by Digirig. Please check out following projects:

Please let me know if your favorite android app could benefit from support of Digirig and I’ll reach out to the developers.

I’ll be editing this post as new entries are added.

1 Like

Add WoAD to the list for WinLink (discussion)

1 Like

+1 Digirig support for Woad would be awesome!

1 Like

It is implemented. Please see the link to discussion in the previous post.
I’ll add WoAD to the list in the first post.

1 Like

Surprised this isn’t on the list already, APRSDroid. Has good compatibility with the DigiRig except for the fact that there’s not an option that I can find to have it engage the RTS signal.

I’ve contacted the author. You are welcome to chime in too:

1 Like

Will do, honestly, looking at the code, I might be able to fork it, make the addition and submit a PR for this. Whether he will accept it, dunno. Any resources to direct me to on getting down the right track for implementing this(in terms of what RTS is and how to call it from the android OS)?

1 Like

Even if your pull request is not accepted, your repo fork and binary will stand on their own.
The software listed in the first post have RTS support implemented. You can look at those and/or contact developers for the implementation details.

RadioMsg app from VK2ETA is a new favorite of mine. He wrote andFlmsg and andPskmail as well. RadioMsg uses Usb RTS through a Digirig…
https://bitbucket.org/VK2ETA/
Kj7ago

1 Like

APRSdroid has a fork with RTS PTT, but no releases.

Anyone tried compiling this Swissman1 fork?
KJ7AGO

SSTV encoder is free on the app store and works pretty well. RTS PTT would be pretty nice feature if you can convince him to add it.

I found a different APRSdroid fork for RTS that has some work done on it.

I grabbed it and tried to make into an APK but ran into some errors. I left a note for the dev in the issue request that Denis started and linked to above.

Hi,
There is growing use of FT8CN. Can you work with the author to add the Digirig support please for CAT, PTT and audio?

Sardar (AC8L).

2 Likes

Sardar,
I’ve reached out to the maintainer of FT8CN. Will update if there are any new developments.

2 Likes

I’m looking to interface an Android tablet to my Elecraft KX3 for portable use. I’d be interested to hear if the DigiRig can control the KX3 for CAT, PTT and audio with the FT8CN app as well.

I’m interested in peoples thoughts about other Android apps that might be able to be used with DigiRig andthe KX3.

Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)

I’ve got the Galaxy Tablet connected to my KX3 using FT8CN. I had to manually tell it that I was on 40m not 20m, which seems to be the default setting.

I’m decoding stations but have not yet tried sending a CQ out.

Did anything come of the request to the author of FT8CN to recognise CAT commands yet?

Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)

I’ve got the KX3 to transmit using VOX and setting RTS as the keying method in options.
I can’t find out the CI-V number for the KX3, I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere, but can’t find details in the manuals.
I’ve also discovered how to get FT8CN to send “CQ DE G0DJA IO93” after a bit of trial and error.
Dave (G0DJA)

Looks like the link to the beta AndFLMSG apk may be broken now. Version 1.5 available on w1hkj.com doesnt seem to have the rig control options mentioned. Does anyone have a copy or an updated link?

I found the updated version of AndFLMSG. Thank you @Charles_Whitlock, I found it off of your link to RadioMSG. Confirmed, this version has the RTS rig control option in settings.

https://bitbucket.org/VK2ETA/andflmsg/downloads/

1 Like