Cable for Chinese uSDX+ V2

I’m trying to build a serial cable for a Chinese uSDX+V2. The radio uses a Kenwood mic/speaker connection and I’m able to transmit, receive, and key PTT using the Baofeng audio cable. The radio has a CAT port that emulates a Kenwood TS-480.

Here is a diagram of the connector pinout:

I have 2 questions.

1. I purchased the Digirig revision 1.9 configured for CI-V. Is the " Duplex serial CAT with RS-232 levels" configuration the correct configuration for this radio?

2. What is the correct wiring for a TRRS to TRRS CAT cable? It appears like a strait TRRS cable will work when referencing the 1.9 schematic.

Thanks All!
Chris - W5CMM

1 Like

Yes, you’ll need a default configuration (logic levels).
And yes, looks like the straight cable should do the business. The second ring (3.3V) will be disconnected on the Digirig in default configuration so SEND_PA signal will be unaffected.

Please post your progress.

Thanks! I’ll post the results.

1 Like

I was able to unsolder the bridges for CI-V configuration and jumper the two for the default configuration (logic level).

Unfortunately the jacks on the back of the radio are cluster so close together I can’t get both audio and serial cables connected at the same time.

I’ll going to look for a TRRS aux cable with small diameter plugs, as well as some short 2.5mm and 3.5mm extension cables with small diameter plugs.

I did verify that my soldering was correct by programming a UV-5R with Chirp, so there’s some progress.

Success! (somewhat)

I was able to trim down the plug on a 3.5 mm TRS aux cable plug with an knife enough to get both cables inserted in the radio. The extra plastic on the K connector blocks the plug for CAT.

This is the configuration I’m using in WSJT-X. You can see Test CAT is green. Bands change from the drop-down menu just fine. Unfortunately when I press Test PTT the radio goes into transmit for a few seconds and then WSJT-X throws an error. I have chokes on the TRS cable, so I need to keep troubleshooting. If I set the rig to None PTT works perfectly. So…more work to do.

I also have N1MM+ working, and it’s keying up CW. This is what the configuration looks like.

I’ll post an update when I get PTT in WSJT-X sorted.

1 Like

How did this cabling and configuration work out for you?

73 Constrainted

Sorry for the delayed update. TL;DR - I tried to upgrade the firmware of the uSDX+V2 (which I had done successfully in the past) to the (at that time) latest version and bricked the radio. I purchased another uSDX+V2 and it’s working with WSJT-X. The radio config is set to the Kenwood TS-480; 38400 baud; 8,1,None; PTT set to CAT; Front/Mic; USB; None.

I don’t know which firmware revision I have on the new radio, and I’m reluctant to try an upgrade at this time. Rig control/PTT is “twitchy”…sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. A newer firmware version will probably improve reliability.

The weather here (New Orleans, LA) isn’t favorable for portable operating at the moment, so I probably won’t test the radio in the field until mid October.

Chris
W5CMM

Hello. I reread the forum several times. But I’m having problems. I have usdx+ v2. I made the cables myself. Sat - txd rxd gnd, ch30, ready plug. HP - earphone1 & 2 gnd other end TRS mic. Mic/key - mic+ gnd the other end of TRS sp. The program for computers is the same, even on the ft8cn phone. The ranges and frequencies are switched. ft8 accepts, I can’t answer, when transmitting (cat settings), usdx freezes. With vox settings, it also does not work. With different settings, the transfer does not take place. You probably need to connect the send_pa mic/key contacts, but nothing is written in your article. Tell me please.

Are you using the front or back jacks? I’m using the pre-made Baofeng audio cable and a short TRRS cable from Monoprice connected to the back jacks.

I had to remove some plastic from the Baofeng “K” cable to provide clearance between the Baofeng connector and the TRRS cable for them to fit comfortably in the back jacks.

2 Likes

I have a lot of K Baofeng connectors. You can cut and make an audio cable with TRRS. Could you ring the contacts of your work cable??? And provide a diagram? Also very interesting is your usb-cat cable, the connection of contacts. And setup in the program. Thank you so much for your help.

This is the CAT cable. It’s a standard TRRS auxiliary cable you can pick up from almost anywhere.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24437

The Baofeng cable was purchased from Digirig and there’s a pinout diagram on that page.

Software settings for WSJT-X are above.

1 Like

I rewired the wire. But it still doesn’t work. Could you take a photo of the ends of your wires from both sides.

Will it be working better if we leave the PTT to RTS and let the digirig key up the radio via K1 connection. So, the CAT is only for changing freq.

1 Like

I’m facing a big problem. I can’t work in ft8. My usdx+ v2.0, does not want to switch to transfer mode. The CAT cable is not made for PTT switching. I can’t find the settings via VOX. The MIC or K1 contacts remain. Various cable desoldering options, I couldn’t get the radio to switch to transmission mode at the right time. The only option left is to close the PTT contacts. The CAT cable is built on a CH340C chip, it can be soldered to the RTS contact, the voltage on it is constantly 5 volts, during transmission it drops to 0. Make a relay, an electronic key, a microcontroller to close the PTT contacts when the voltage drops. There is no time to do this yet. If you help, it will be fine…

Not sure If I understand what you said. The Baofeng cable alone without any cat cable should be able to key the radio if you set wsjtx PTT to RTS

1 Like

Many managed to set up usdx+ for work. YC2YIZ connected on YouTube without any problems. I have problems all the time.
I receive and decode the signals, but I can’t send them. The PTT mechanism does not work.
Different cable connection options did not help. I do not know the firmware of my device and possible commands for exchanging via UART (RX-TX). The standard TX command takes the device into error. VOX creates a lot of interference and does not work.
The only option left is the automatic connection of PTT contacts in the MIC/KEY connector.
CH340C cable, there are unused DTR contacts. When selecting control via DTR in the program. The program changes the voltage on it during transmission. Here is to make an additional device for closing the PTT contacts when the voltage on the contacts changes.

I don’t know what is the PCB thing on the left of your computer. I think we are talking on different setup here. Your setup seems to me like you are using USB sound interface on the right of your computer and some device on the left USB to the back of the radio. The problem is, I don’t know what device it is and how it work.

If you’re going to use the front jacks you need to wire the HP and MIC/KEY cables together in a single TRRS jack that goes to the audio port of the digirig.

I don’t think he is using DiGiRig

In principle, it doesn’t matter which HP MIC/KEY front or KJ rear ports to use, connect them directly via TRRS to a phone or computer, or do all this via an external sound card. Please explain how in your cases the radio station switches to transmission? What mechanism?