Cables for Yaesu FT-450

This model uses same MiniDin6 data cable as many Yaesu transceivers. For CAT control it uses a classic RS-232 DB9 connector and requires RS-232 levels Digirig configuration.

The matching cables are listed under FT-480 kit:

Manual can be found here.

1 Like

Working settings reported by the operator:

FLRig:

(In wsjtx I then just select the FLRig option)

FT-450D settings

D-TYPE - USER-U
CAT RTS - Disable
CAT TOT - 3000
CAT RATE - 38400
Needs to be in USB-Data mode
No VOX settings

Hello,

I would like to build homebrew cables for my FT-450D and DigiRig(RS232)
I have looked at the posts in the forums, including this one here, I’m in a bit of doubt about the correct wiring. Please can you tell me if the image is correct? It came from https://forum.digirig.net/t/yaesu-ft-450d-setup-issues/474 or, if not correct, what it should be please.

Thanks
Rog
2M0OYS

The pinout is correct. Just be aware of the perspective.
The MiniDin6 shows from the pins side (same view as the in photo of the connector).
For DB9, refer to pin numbering on the connector’s molding (this is discussed in the post you linked).

1 Like

Thanks. Very helpful indeed

I figured I would post this here in case anybody else has this issue. It’s not a problem with the Digirig.

I’m using a relatively new Macbook Air (M2) and decided to build my own cables for a FT-450D.

The signal coming out of my FT-450D (pin 6 of the MiniDin6) was too high and causing a lot of distortion in the audio I sampled from the digirig internal sound device. I found a 22k Ω resistor in the cable between pin 6 and the TRRS tip attenuated the signal just enough to make WSJT-X happy.

FWIW this M2 Macbook Air running Ventura has given me quite a lot of grief in digi-modes when it comes to audio. The FT-891 (different digirig) worked pretty much out of the box. However I also use a QDX and X6100, both of which needed a BOOSTED AF signal. Go figure.

Gary,
Thank you for the report. Alternatively, you can also activate the hardware attenuator in Digirig:

Ha! Of course there is a tidy way to do it within the digirig! Thanks for the pointer!

Another operator shared working settings for FT-450:

Settings on FT-450D:

• CAT RTS: Enabled
  • CATRATE: 38400

Vara HF:
FT450 Digi Rig Settings RMS WINLINK

VarAC:

PTT by CAT also works:

Settings on FT-450D:

• CAT RTS: Disabled
  • CAT RATE:38400

1 Like