Cables for Yaesu FT-890 & Yaesu FT-900

Some interesting connectivity choices were made on these models, none of which are the standard connections. :thinking:

The audio in and out (but without PTT) can be found on 3.5mm TRS labeled “DATA IN/OUT”, the serial CAT as well as PTT is on the MiniDin6 socket labeled “CAT”. The serial port appears to be using logic levels (5V).

The Digirig cable looks like this:

3.5mm TRS tip (MIC) → 3.5mm TRRS audio ring1 RIG_AFIN
3.5mm TRS ring (SPK) → 3.5mm TRRS audio tip RIG_AFOUT
3.5mm TRS sleeve (GND) → 3.5mm TRRS audio sleeve RIG_AFOUT
3.5mm TRS sleeve (GND) → 3.5mm TRRS audio sleeve GND
MiniDin6-M pin4 (PTT) → 3.5mm TRRS audio (!) ring2 (PTT)
MiniDin6-M pin1 (GND) → 3.5mm TRRS serial sleeve (RIG_AFOUT)
MiniDin6-M pin2 (SER OUT) → 3.5mm TRRS serial ring1 (RIG_TXD)
MiniDin6-M pin3 (SER IN) → 3.5mm TRRS serial tip (RIG_RXD)

Please share the results if you end up building this cable.

The FT-890 and FT-900 are very close relatives.

You could try something like this that I did for the FT-900.

1 Like

I have tried to make the cables as described above. So far I haven’t succeeded with the serial MiniDin6 cable, but still work on it. The audio cable with one modification has worked for me. I connected the 3.5mm TRRS audio ring2 (PTT) with a separate wire and a phonoplug/RCA plug to the PTT jack. This works for me, (but of course it doesn’t control the frequency).

Re. serial cable: could be TX/RX swapped or levels issue.
With nothing connected, can you measure if there is any voltage on pin2 and pin3 of MiniDin6?

After further checking I have now made both cables (Audio and Serial) work as described above at the beginning. Initially I didn’t see that the two cables had to be interconnected. When that was done it worked using settings from a FT-920 as described under “Cable for Yaesu FT-900”. In addition I also found it important to use Baud rate 4800 under Radio Control Port.
Thanks for something that now works perfect.

2 Likes

I found conflicting information on the forum & on the website. I want to make sure that DigiRig will work for me BEFORE I buy it.

The forum says there is no cable. They also offer a possible configuration that works with a Yaesu FT-900 and it “should work” with FT-890. They use the CAT and DATA IN/OUT on the back of the radio.

I found a link on the website that uses “ICOM GX16 Mic Cable for Digirig Mobile”. Those are located on the front of the radio and only use ONE cable.

I just want to make sure the DigiRig will work for my Yaesu FT-890.

Thanks

In either case there is no question that Digirig is going to work with your radio. The only difference is the way the cabling is done.

The above discussion covers connection to the ports in the back of the radio taking care of all functions: audio, PTT and CAT. This is the cleanest way to do it, but involves homebrewing a cable. The store tag links to the existing cable that handles audio and PTT (no CAT). This will also require you to disconnect/reconnect your mic while switching between phone and digital. Not quite as clean of the solution, but it works.

1 Like