Cables for Yaesu FTM-3100R and Yaesu FT-2980R

To enable the digital modes we’ll need to collect audio in, audio out and PTT from two different connectors:

RJ12 pin 4 → 3.5mm TRRS sleeve (GND)
RJ12 pin 5 → 3.5mm TRRS ring1 (RIG_AFIN)
RJ12 pin 6 → 3.5mm TRRS ring2 (PTT)
3.5mm TS or TRS sleeve → TRRS sleeve (GND)
3.5mm TS or TRS tip → TRRS tip (RIG_AFOUT)

Manual can be found here.

This should also work for:

• Yaesu FT2800M
2 Likes

Prototype cable build:

Edit: the headphones jack is on the back side of the radio (doh), for that reason the leg of the cable with 3.5mm TRS connector has to be longer to comfortably wrap around. Thanks to Gaston (techprepper) for testing the prototype and providing feedback.

Thank you so much for this post…This wiring schematic worked for the TYT TH-7800. PTT working as well via the RJ12.

I successfully made a digipeater using the digirig, Soundmodem from UZ7HO & APRSIS32 software.

1 Like

This cable is coming to store by the end of the year. Please signup to the mailing list at the website to receive the availability notification.

Any idea if the TYT TH-9800 will work following the same pinout you’re using here for the TH-7800? I can dig up the pins and reference myself but just asking in case you happen to know off the top of your head. Thanks!

From the Amazon picture of TH-9800 it looks like it’s using 8pin RJ45 connector, not 6pin RJ12.
If you can confirm and look up pinout, we can start a new topic for that cable.

Yes, same pin out. I have successfully done this for my TH-7800 and it works fine as a fill in digipeater and also works well for Packet Winlink. I used this very same diagram.

I bought an RJ12 patch cable on Amazon and used it.

~73

1 Like

My apologies Derek, I misread your question…However…when I look at the product guide on the signalink website, they use the same cable for both the 9800 and the 7800…this leads me to believe they are indeed both 6pin RJ12 connectors. I found an older Reddit post saying the same.
Good luck with it, perhaps someone will be able to positively confirm. Here’s an image regarding the 9800 pinout:

Have a great day everyone.

I apologize if I missed the answer in the feed somewhere, just to confirm this cable does work for the TYT TH-9800? Also, is this cable available for purchase?
Another question: Is this possible to split the cable to still allow the mic to be in use on one VFO and switch VFO for digital without plugging and unplugging?

Hello.

According to the diagram on previous post it should work. We have not had anyone come back and confirm. The cable doesn’t appear to be in production yet.

As far as splitting the RJ-12, I don’t see why it can’t be done.

Good luck with it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I have not got into trying to build my own cables yet so I think I’ll have to wait for the cable to be available or find someone to build one for me.
Maybe in the mean time if someone has tried splitting the mic cable to be able to keep both connected they will chime in.

This cable is now available in store:

3 Likes

could you use and RJ splitter to keep the handset attached when not using the Digirig?

This might work, but this also means that the mic will be picking the ambient sounds while the radio should only hear Digirig’s audio.

Honestly … it wouldn’t be a whole lot of trouble to make a splitter with a switch or relay to cut between the handset and digi rig… you only need to flip the mic input right? Switch set to digi rig, it’s passing that mix input and when set to handset it’s only passing the hand mic… you could build that as a single cable with inline switch honestly.

1 Like

Indeed it is doable, but not a candidate for the scale production. This could be a cool homebrew project though. Please post your results if you end up building it.

1 Like

Already designing the pcb… figure I’ll just make a plug n play board encased and mountable. Easy peasy

2 Likes

Awesome idea!

Looks like someone beat me to it… after looking to source parts i found this…

Trying to experiment, and figure out this cabling. I have no experience at this, so please understand you’re dealing with a noob.
So I’ve successfully figured out how to make the cable for the Baofeng HT for the digirig.
I’ve used this diagram for the finished cable.

Now im trying to make a cable for the TYT-9800.

Could someone give advice on where I’d hook everything for the following pin out?
PTT, MIC, and GND are obvious, but i have no clue on the remaining wires. Any help is appreciated!

1 Like