Codan NGT AR - Cable

G’Day - Has anyone setup a Codan NGT to work with the DigiRig…??
Cheers
Rob

Interesting rig. It should be straightforward to wire it up audio, PTT and even serial RS-232 programming. I’m struggling to find the pinout information. Manual doesn’t have it, not finding the schematic either. One piece of data I found is this project, but that doesn’t cover audio and PTT.

If you can locate or reverse engineer connections, I’ll be happy to sketch up the cable.

Uploading: Codan CIB.png…

This is the pinout information for the Junction box on the NGT AR (Blue Face).
One CIB is used for the Auto-Tune antenna, and the handset is an unusual sized connector.

Thank you for sharing the info. Looks like DB15 would be the way go to.
Here’s my take at it:

For Digirig’s audio/PTT we’d connect

• tip (RIG_AFOUT) to 14 (System audio) - doesn’t mention Rx audio, but the closest match
  • ring 1 (RIG_AFIN) to 15 (TX audio)
  • ring 2 (PTT) to 10 (PTT)
  • sleeve (GND) to 4 (Ground) and 5 (Tx audio) - pinning one leg of balanced input

For Digirig’s serial we’d connect

• tip (RIG_RXD) to 2 (RS232 Receive data)
  • ring 1 (RIG_TXD) to 3 (RS232 Transmit data)
  • ring 2 to not connected
  • sleeve (GND) to 4 (ground)
  • not connected to 9 (CTS) to 1 (RTS) - hardware flow control bypass

Digirig would have to be configured for RS-232 levels

Apologies for the delay - had an issue with the RS232 network interface board in the radio. Hope to have the radio back working sometime in the next week. I have a 2nd DigiRig on order too so there might be a delay before I get to play with it…

Similar to the Barrett 4050 I’m currently working on.

1 Like

Please post your cable pinout when you have it working.

Finally had time to play. But unfortunately no joy yet.
I am getting Audio in & decoded - levels are too high, but that is a job for later.

Wsjtx is set to :
Radio - Codan NGT
Serial Port - USB
Baud Rate - 38400
PTT - CAT

But I keep getting Rig Control errors.
I am using 2 TRRS plugs into the Digirig.
The Digirig was purchased setup for rs232

To simplify sorting this out - I have changed to the Digirig supplied 9 pin rs232 cable plugged into the Serial side of the Digirig. The Audio side is empty at this stage. I have set the Codan 9 pin rs232 port to 9600 Baud & the same for the Wsjtx software. Still no luck getting rid of the Rig Control errors.

Serial Port - USB

Serial port should be COM port introduced by Digirig.

Good day. I am looking to make a similar cable for a Codan Envoy X2. It uses the same DB15 connector. I am attaching the pinout diagram which is basically the same as was previoulsy posted but with a little more detail. Would I use the same setup as already suggested or something different? Attempting to use this Digirig with this radio to work with VARA HF on Winlink. Also, after reading the post I would assume I need to purchase a Digirig set for RS232 as I only have one for Logic Levels.

RS-232 configuration sounds right based on the information in the pinout table.
Please post the update when you have the homebrew cable built.

1 Like

Would I use the suggested pin layout as previously posted? Thanks.

Yes, I would give that a try. I went over the signals in the table and ended up with the same Digirig connections as posted earlier.

1 Like

Thank you. Just want to ask a few questions about the information in the table for my own clarification since I have never made a cable like this before. I definitely don’t want to make any wrong connections and mess up this radio.

On the audio side, the instructions say for the sleeve: to GND (pin 4) and Tx Audio (pin 5). Is this simply just just making the sleeve connect to both pin 4 and pin 5?

Also, on the serial side, the last instruction says: not connected to 9 (CTS) to 1(RTS) - hardware flow control bypass. This is simply informational, correct? I am not connecting to pin 1 or 9 for on the serial side?

Thank you again. Just making sure I don’t mess anything up.

Thanks

This part connects the grounds. Additionally, it appears that the radio’s input expects differential connection for the mic between pins 5 & 15. With Digirig’s non differential output we’ll need to connect one line and tie another one to the ground. You are welcome to experiment with connecting Digirig’s audio to 5 or 15 with another line open or grounded.

Yes, this is just an internal connection between pins 1 & 9 on the transceiver side connector. Again, you are welcome to first try without it. Some transceivers expect hardware flow control of the serial port, some don’t.

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t really want to “experiment” as I don’t want to mess anything up with the radio. Just getting clarification on the proper wiring. Thanks.

Josb

1 Like