Digirig with Winlink and UZ7HO soundmodem

@Carol_Flaherty based on the error message, winlink packet session manager is not able to find or not able to execute the soundmodem application. Is the path to soundmodem correct?

On the other hand, APRS is still working, right? In North America the APRS frequency is 144.390 MHz.

73 Constrainted

I use 144.390 for APRS (successfully) and 145.010 for Winlink (unsuccessfully).

Authomatic Response
Open Sessions Clicked with Resulting Message

1 Like

Thanks for posting those screenshots. From the error message, it looks like C:\Users\Demo\Desktop\soundmodem.exe is not the path to the soundmodem application. You can take a look at the path setting in the APRS application, or use the search feature in the file manager or perhaps the Start program to find where soundmodem.exe is located in the file system.

Does that make sense? You are very close to success!

73 Constrainted

Ah, hah! I’ll bet that is not the path! Let me work on that!

OK! I found the source of the application. What do you recommend that I do next?

Oh! Maybe I see it in the attachment that was provided earlier. I will look at that.

1 Like

Great! Please enter the path name in that entry location I highlighted in yellow.

73 Constrainted

I solved the path to the soundmodem (thank you!). Now I get messages such as KISS port is busy. Cannot open port.

That sounds like progress! Only one program can access a serial port at a time. Please make sure all other programs like soundmodem, Vara FM, APRS are not running before you start up Winlink packet. I think you are very close!

73 Constrainted

I will work more on that tomorrow. I did not examine APRS earlier this evening!

OK. As I mentioned, you should also be able to find the path from the file manager or the Start menu. Good luck.

73 Constrainted

I think that I have packet winlink working! I am using 145.010 frequency for an RMS Packet Gateway. I get the following message when I want to close the Winlink application on the monitor screen:
“Close message editing screen before stopping the program.”
I can’t find any edit that is open although the list of system folders is visible as is the Move to: [designation of folder].
What do you think? .

When I switched to Telnet, the messages left the outbox (which I thought that I had already sent via packet winlink) and the problem was solved. So I probably did not use packet winlink afterall!

Winlink Express issues this warning when the user tries to exit the program when an Enter a New Message window is still open.

73 Constrainted

You probably know this now, but Winlink Express wants you to do the following steps to send a new message:

1. Open the application
  2. Menu item Message → New Message
  3. Edit the Enter a New Message window
  4. From the New Message Window, Post to Outbox
  5. From the Winlink Express Window, select Packet Winlink session from the drop down menu next to Open Session.
  6. From the Winlink Express Window, select Open Session, to start the Packet Winlink Session window and open soundmodem.
  7. From the Packet Winlink Session window, select an RMS station, hit Start to connect to the RMS station and send any messages in the Outbox and receive any messages available through the RMS station.
  8. Upon success, select Exit on the Session window, then Exit on Winlink Express.

What are you seeing?

73 Constrainted

1 Like

All of the above problems have been solved. Thank you!

2 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks for letting this forum know. Any details which might help others in the future?

73 Constrainted

Packet Winlinks now link to VARA FM. When installing, I learned that I must not use WinZip since Windows Zip is within the installation steps. When installing, I learned that I must select Run as Administrator from the installation steps. I am now moving toward using Packet Winlinks.

Winlink Packet sessions usually use soundmodem running on the PC. Vara FM is a modem and software TNC used for Winlink Vara FM sessions.

Good luck with Winlink Packet.

73 Constrainted