FT5DR and DigiRig

My radio is flickering which I dont believe its supposed to do. Im using Sound modem and Winlink to make a connection to the internet. The sound settings are set to digirig and ptt through com and com5 is selected. For some reason the ptt isnt triggering on my radio. I have the cable plugged into the audio port and the usb c is routed and plugged to the computer. Any help with this would be appreciated…

Thx,

Trevor
Milwaukie, OR

Could be a partial jack insertion on the HT’s side. Try a PTT test as described in this post:

Its a custom cable bought direct from digirig as well as the usb c cable…Im not sure why its not triggering ptt. I also have it set inVara for COM5 and RTS…

Understood. Did you try a PTT test as described in the linked post?

The radio is now keying up…I believe this is just a configuration issue not a hardware issue…In sound modem im on the specific frequency, see static in the waterfall, see the radio keying on the radio itself as well as the waterfall but still not connecting to any stations…

Is there anyone that has this specific radio that could tell me what their config settings are?

Sounds like you are almost there, now just need to optimize the audio levels. The best option would be to have a buddy with another FM station to try a close distance RF link.

I have a signalink and a digirig and two radios…just 1 computer though…dangit…

I don’t see any problem with this arrangement. You can use each of your digital interfaces with one of the radios and connect both to the same computer.

Ok, I have been successful at connecting my FTM-400XDR to my digirig but not the FT5DR…It does ptt but it just wont connect. The light lights red on transmit and, it trys to connect 5 times then disconnects. Its got to be a setting that is not correct. Does anyone out there have this radio and a successful connection?

Can I get your configuration on your radio?

Thanks,

Trevor
Milwaukie, OR

If you use the same software configuration and it works with one FM radio, but not the other then the issue is either related to audio levels or RF link quality. Use waterfall and other level indicators on the computer to see if you are getting a clean signal.

Finally, after a few weeks of troubleshooting got it working…If anyone with a FT5DR needs the settings to get their device up and running send me a DM. I can help with the FT5DR and the FTM-400XDR radios.

Trevor,
Thank you for the update. If you have a moment, please publish your setup notes here.
To protect your email from being scraped to spam lists by the robots, I’ve modified your message to reference personal message instead.

Ok, thank you for the help. Glad to have everything up and running now both on a Digirig as well as a Signalink running Sound Modem and Vara FM on Windows 11 with a FT5DR and a FTM-400XDR.

1 Like

HI ,I could use some help I have the same Problem

Maybe you could explain in a little more detail and I could help you through getting set up.

It works on vara fm fine but no key on winlink packet the bottom row on the ft5 flickers back and forth but no xmit red light or power out red line . I set it up like a signalink .

1 Like

Ok, if I remember correctly sound modem needs to be setup with your specific com port and your line in and line out correctly…you find that in your device manager on your computer. Your B line is going to be what it Tx and Rx on. Also your sound on the radio doesn’t have to be very loud at least on mine…it was set to 1 or 2 bars. You are correct to setup essentially like a signalink but there are some differences like above.

I got it simple mistake ,didn’t have VOX on and winlink packet and vara fm work great now thank you for your time and effort to help me out .hope to return the favor

I have different settings than you then if your using VOX which i am not but glad to see you got it working.

Trevor
KJ7MLK

Still Experimenting, but will keep updating my findings ( at work just playing around ,don’t have every I need to test plus working on it under the radar of the BOSS ) Mark KC3QIR