RPi 5 with DigiRig CM108 can’t assert TX audio in WSJTX

I have working KX3 + DigiRig with my Maclogger program and WsJTX on my Mac computer. When I setup my new RP5 the audio decodes on FT 8 but when I key the KX3 in USB mode ( audio modulation ) the radio will key but it seems the transmit audio goes out through the HDMI driver and out its speakers instead of into the mic jack.
I used the ALSA tools and LSUSB command and the Cp102 + CM108 audio chip show up correctly.
The apparent rule of muting all output channels seems to apply to my trying to get audio out and into the mic jack on the KX3.
Since this a working system I can only conclude I am missing some tool to change the priority of increasing the driver ahead of the HDMI audio driver.
Anyone have any suggestions how to get the settings right. I have been through several good articles on the RPi site by Philips and USB audio cards by Lady Ada to no avail. This has to be entwined with the fact the analog headphone port went away with the advent of the RPi5 and I cannot find a tool as the ALSA mixer won’t allow me to change the audio stream
Thanks for reading this
Best regards
John K3GO

The selection of the sound card devices usually falls on the software that runs the digital modes without the need to mute other devices. Do you use WSJT-X on your Pi?

Thanks. Yes I use WSJT-X with the latest RPI OS. The rec auto is fine and decoding works great. The transmit goes out the HDMI audio and out the audio on the monitor. Also tried FL-Rig and FL software and the transmit fails there as well.
The RPi 5 build was the LINUX build a pi package which installed straightforward.

Do you have a choice of sound cards in settings->audio the way it is on other platforms?

Here is my setup - the TX audio simply does not show up at Mic Jack. It does work fine with MacOSX in my macstudio so it is not the DigiRig hardware.
Itss an audio setting the RPi 5 OS.
Control Panel WSJT-X.pdf (702.8 KB)

AudioPanel WSJT-X.pdf (734.5 KB)

thanks for looking any help is appreciated
John

Could be a driver thing, though it is strange that half of the soundcard is detected and other is not. For ubuntu I’m finding this as a suggestion for the driver install:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` alsa-base alsa-firmware-loaders alsa-oss alsa-source alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsamixergui

After several hours research and trying different things the solution was really simple. Defaults of the ALSA mixer are to HDMI and so when I plug in the CM108 DigiRig sound card the transmit audio goes to the HDMI screens audio. I stumbled across the right click on the sound and microphone icons in the tool bar to finally discover what I had been searching for in the Terminal window and ALSA tools.

Its really simple:
Right click the Sound Icon and you get the ability to turn off HDMI audio and connect to the CM108 audio devices. Like So:

At that point you can bring up the profiles and set the rest of the CM108 as needed for WSJT-X without using FLRIG. You can do it natively with the app.

Then you get the following on the WSJT-X. Remember to set power slider, mic gain on the KX3 monitor the ALC control so you don’t overdrive the transmitted audio.
Last I recommend using the RTS keying for the KX3 as shown below.

thanks de K3GO

2 Likes

Congrats on the success and thank you for sharing the solution.