truSDX Cable Causing Error With CAT Control

I bought the cable for the truSDX rig and it’s not working as I would expect. With the red plug in the mic/key jack I get an error when trying to set up the CAT connection. Removing that plug makes everything work just fine. The rig complains that I should check the PTT/mic connection.

Is the cable manufactured according to the docs on the dl2man.de site? In other words, are the TRS of the red jack wires as expected by the rig? Or did I buy a cable that I’m going to have to pull apart and tweak?

You might have a look here for setup tips. I used the information therein and get WSJT-X and JS8CALL working fine. Still working on a Winlink connection though…

Bret/N4SRN

I have Winlink working without CAT, just PTT, if that helps.

73 Constrainted

That’s frustrating that CAT control is not working.

I get TX audio and PTT over the red jacketed cable for fldigi, wsjt, Winlink Vara FM, Winlink Vara HF, soundmodem packet. That indicates that the cable I bought from K0TX is wired properly for audio and PTT.

CAT control seems to be a frequent issue for truSDX users and the developers are working on it in firmware 2.00t, 2.00u etc.

https://forum.dl2man.de/viewtopic.php?t=294

Good luck.

73 Constrainted

1 Like

Here’s a link to a thread on the truSDX site with some settings for CAT control:

https://forum.dl2man.de/viewtopic.php?t=47

73 Constrainted

1 Like

Thanks for this reply. That’s what I was looking for. I will poke more at the rig and dig a little deeper with the firmware. I wanted to eliminate the easiest stuff first before I went deep on firmware updates, etc.

I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Here’s an explanation of truSDX supported CAT commands:

5 (tr)uSDX Details – DL2MAN´s HAM Radio Page

73 Constrainted

So this is interesting to me. I mocked up another cable and CAT control works just fine. In fact, the only time it DOESN’T work is with the official Digirig cable. After running a meter across it, the tip of the red connector is NOT dead. That is to say, it’s doing the thing that DL2MAN says must be avoided with cables.

So did I just get a bad cable? Or is anyone else seeing this?

For the reference, here is the pinout of Digirig’s audio/PTT cable which is known to be working:

1 Like

My CAT control is working, I just cannot make connections to gateways. I can see my signal on webSDRs so it’s going out at 3W on 40m. Can you post your Sound Card settings for Record & Playback?

That’s frustrating to be so close.

I set soundcard drive level in Vara HF to -5db arbitrarily. Here are my audio level settings, with playback determined by trial and error:

The playback level works pretty well for all Winlink stations I can reach.
AGC is unset.

I usually set Recording → Properties → Listen → Listen to this device to monitor whether the frequency is clear and then how the other station responds. This is on Win11.

Good luck.

73 Constrainted

I was able to do FT8 with my truSDX and Digirig, but not VARA HF. Would be interested in your settings for VARA HF. Thanks.

Congratulations on FT8! As I think I mentioned, I do not use CAT control. Here are some screenshoots of my settings. I wish VARA modem had a configuration file, but the reality is no.

This is a different, newer, Digirig and I arbitrarily set the sound level to -2dB rather than -5dB, in Vara modem.

73 Constrainted

1 Like

Thank you so much for these info on your settings. I am now able to use Winlink on my Digirig_trUSDX combo.

73 de 4F3BZ

2 Likes

Congratulations! Thanks for giving us that feedback here.

73 Constrainted