DigiRig with Yaesu FT-857D

I recently went through the process of setting up a DigiRig interface on a Yaesu FT-857D radio. I had several issues along the way, some of which this site helped me with which I appreciated very much. In return, here are two files I put together detailing various settings that I found worked for me on the PC side. One of the files is a PDF version of my Excel spreadsheet. It shows different settings for different software and Windows versions. Hopefully they will be of assistance to others working with the FT-857.
Win10_FLDigi_FLRig_DigiRig_FT-857D_Config_Screens_240330.pdf (1.8 MB)
FT-857 Digital Settings For DigiRig published 240329.pdf (314.0 KB)

3 Likes

Richard, thanks so much for sharing your confirmed settings!

I had a request to make the PDF of the spreadsheet 8X14. so all the data will show on one page. Here’s that version. I hope that this update will make using this file more NR1CHing for you.
FT-857 Digital Settings For DigiRig published 240329.pdf (309.5 KB)

73 Rich NR1CH

3 Likes

I find it interesting you use FLrig. Is there a specific purpose for not interfacing with applications directly? (I ask, as I have an 857 and do not use FLrig. I use JS8, VarAC, fldigi, wsjtx, etc.)

Yes, there is a specific reason. By using FLRig as the intermediate link in the chain it becomes easier to diagnose problems. FLRig is somewhat of a simplistic program that can be used for rig control. It’s simple enough that if there are problems with actually connecting to the radio with FLRig these can be researched and fixed without involving the more complex settings of whatever program the OP is actually using for digital communications. In other words, if FLRig is doing its job controlling the rig, then the problem is on the PC side and not with the rig itself.

In addition to the above, by having FLRig as the sole, actual connection to the rig, all the other programs simply need to be set up to plug into FLRig and once an OP does that a few times, it becomes almost second nature.

Many applications do not support the use of FLrig, which is one reason I don’t use it. I suppose if you use only simple apps like fldigi, JS8, and ftx, that’s a use case scope.

Once you move into more advanced applications, of which I use, FLrig simply isn’t an option, as it either isn’t supported, or causes issues due to the polling overhead it applies.

It’s always interesting to see the rationale behind doing something one way or another.

Matt

That’s me, simple. I think I was one of the original signers of the KISS principle. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that information. That led me to this thread.

Which is winlink specific

So after all that I am now using the USB-DIGITAL and its working. I might have had some Antenna switching issues, that I found during this investigation. So all is good. Thank you all for your help. Appreciate it.

2 Likes