Setting Up Digirig with Yaesu FT-991A for FT8

Hello everyone :sunglasses:,

I’m reaching out for some assistance with my new Digirig interface. I’m a ham radio enthusiast eager to dive into digital modes, and I recently purchased a Digirig to use with my Yaesu FT-991A. I’ve read that Digirig is often described as a plug-and-play solution, but I’m encountering some challenges that I hope to get your help with.

Here’s a summary of what I’ve done so far:

• Driver Installation: I installed the required drivers from the Digirig website on my Windows 10 PC. The device appears to be recognized correctly in the Device Manager.
  • Cable Connections: I connected the Digirig to my Yaesu FT-991A using the provided cables, ensuring that all connections are secure.
  • Software Configuration: I am using WSJT-X for FT8. I configured the software to use the correct COM ports for CAT control and PTT, corresponding to the ports shown in my Device Manager.

However, I’m encountering a few issues that I need help troubleshooting:

• CAT Control Errors: WSJT-X frequently displays errors indicating it cannot communicate with the radio. Occasionally, it connects briefly, but then loses the connection.
  • PTT Problems: When attempting to transmit, the PTT does not activate correctly, and the radio fails to switch to transmit mode.
  • Audio Level Concerns: I’m uncertain if the audio levels are set properly. I’ve adjusted them multiple times without seeing any noticeable improvement.

I came across to this resources/article Digrig on Yaseu FT991 - yaesu-ft-991a data analytics - Digirig, and as per them I need to simplify my queries to reduce their complexity, or wait for the budget to reset before retrying the query​.

I’m hoping someone with a similar setup can share their configuration details or offer tips to resolve these issues. Detailed screenshots of your WSJT-X settings or specific adjustments you’ve made would be extremely helpful. Additionally, any advice on troubleshooting CAT control and PTT activation with the Digirig would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I think an owner of an FT-991A will comment. Sometimes the question arises why you are not choosing to use the internal soundcard of the radio.

73 Constrainted

It’s not common to use Digirig with FT-991A because this transceiver already has an internal interface (socket #7 below). I had some operators still interested in this use case because the internal interface was damaged or not supporting wide VaraFM.

The radio is equipped with DB9 serial port (socket #5) and audio port (socket #3). The matching cables kit for these connections is TS-480:

And as always the case with DB9 connectors, the electric levels for the serial port are RS-232. I’m not finding your digirig store order by the email address. If you purchased your Digirig on Amazon then it is not configured for your Yaesu. More on the topic here: Selecting Digirig Configuration – digirig

Pre-configured Digirig can be purchased in Digirig Store.

1 Like